COOK BROS = GOLD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg
Phil Wood BB, Steel Campy Headset

Last edited:
Almost $4K and climbing
For a frame!!!!!!

I don't think it's anyone from our site. We are all toooooo cheap.

Crazy to see these go for so much and I will bet money there are a few roting away somewhere in a garage because the family has no clue what they have.

Or even worse they were thrown out beacuse they were in the way.

Oh man, that seller is gonna lose money on the shipping. It will be hard to ship it for only $20. Guess he is gonna have to eat the difference.

I'm glad I don't get it so that I don't have to try to afford one/give up on a dream.

Being the gentleman who purchased said Cook Bros I can say that I don't feel foolish at all in my purchase. Lets do the math. So far the highest serial number accounted for in a Cook Cruiser is around 750. Craig Cook has stated they made around 800 26" cruisers total . So the only database out there which is being kept by a gentleman in SoCal has around 140-150 of the 800 that are accounted for with around #750 being the highest at this time. So lets say that over the next 10 years another 100-150 are found. That is 250-300 of the total built.

I won't go into all the uniqueness of this white bike, but that is a threaded euro bottom bracket just as an example. The paint is actually great just the decals are weak someone tried to clean them up and jacked them.

I have a Dean Ti and a few other customs as well, customs are cool. I also have the 1st Schwinn I bought with my own money in 1977. A 1964 Wasp. Schwinn built millions of Ballooner's and how many Stingrays is anyone's guess.

So yes give me 1 of 150 known Cook Cruisers. Made in SoCal before Jack Witmer out of Chromoly. Yes I'll take that over an $11,000 Specialized S Works Epic or just about any bike built today. Oh and it will be ridden, Pearl Pass 40th comes to mind.

So should the economy crash or the market crash I could lose lots in the stock market, but I will have my Cook. Can't ride stocks last I checked. Can't ride a Jackson Pollock either, plus I don't have 141 million lying around.

I would easily sell off many of my bikes because last I checked Dean is still making bikes. Guess what going to lose money on my Dean Ti for sure.

Craig and Gary Cook will never make bikes again. Maybe I won't make any money, but then again.. Either way I will be riding a sweet cruiser.
I live in Austin, TX and the Cook Bros. made some of those 26" frames for the knuckle heads here who liked to jump cars with them. I am not sure how many they made, and I would have to do some more research to figure out the exact serial numbers, but the ones they did make are a little beefier than the rest and some have extra gussets which may or may have not been "factory original." I know of three of those bikes and I covet them. I had the opportunity to buy one years ago but as reasonable as the price seems today, it was way more than I could spend on a bike at the time. I will now have to wait until one of those owners dies and hope that I have time to ensure that I befriend them enough to be included in their will. People don't talk about other bikes the same was as these bikes. I have a friend who owns four beautiful Champions. Not the new ones, but the old school originals. And friends with 80s Lagunas. But those Cooks have a special place, and if you don't have one, good luck getting one.

I can dig it; weren't some of the Cook Bros Austin Cruisers 24" bikes? With gussets at the seat-tube/seatstay junction? Nice bikes; i've spent some time lusting after'm over on the museum....

Imagine if you're last name was Cook, and you grew up in SoCal in the late 70's-early 80's and you lived, ate and breathed BMX!

All I wanted was a CBR frame, and when my 9th bday came, I was told that it was time to trade up from my Murray Tiger Cat to a legit bike. I showed the parents the Cook, and the reaction was "how much?, for just a frame?, keep dreaming". I settled for a Laguna, because they looked similar, and had several years of enjoyment.

Years before this OSBMX craziness, I kept thinking that I needed to track a CBR bike down, but never got around to it. And now it looks like I never will. I still have my one owner 20-inch Laguna, an 80-ish Redline 20-inch I traded another bike for back in '84, and a 80-81 Laguna 26 that I found disguised as a low rider for $70 bucks about five years ago. Still have the Tiger Cat, too. Those will provide me with years of casual BMX casual parts hunting so I've got that going for me!

Latest posts

Back