Covid and bike purchasing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattiThundrrr

Rattus All Terrainus
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a dilemma. RockRat won't be rideable for the foreseeable future. I am without mountain bike. A sweet little Raleigh was just posted 25km from me. It's got the potential to have the kind of story that would warm Matti's heart. Mid ninties rigid mountain bike, Tange Infinity chromo, maybe made at.the Windsor factory 160km from here. STX RC brakes and drivetrain for less than the cost of a case of Purell.
ad_0_1585922575760.jpg

I could transfer all the stuff I need over to the Rat, but let's be honest, the Raleigh is probably a better bike than a lowly Hardrock.

Anyhow, normal circumstances, I'd have the thing in the garage before dinner, but the whole isolation thing is changing the calculus. Should I contact the seller, indicate my interest, not knowing if or when I could get it? Is picking up a used bicycle acceptable? Is it worth the risk? Should I save my money for survival items and food for the stockpile? Is a solid all terrain bike a survival item? Aaaaaack I hate 2020!!

I've intentionally avoided looking at FB Marketplace for this very reason...ha ha. :bigsmile:

Obviously if the seller recently listed it then they are open to some kind of a meet up to make the transaction work out.

I tried to run the buy/sell scenario through my mind trying to think how it could work with the least amount of contact. Each party could have some Clorox wipes on hand to clean off the bike and an envelope that money would be in. You'd just need to stay at least 6 feet away from each other and somehow trade items.

Not sure what it's like where you are right now, but here in Texas the Governor has asked all non-essential trips away from home to be avoided. Not sure how they plan to govern that.

Yeah, the lockdown is getting more severe, more restrictions to come. We can still go out a wander around the neighborhood, but I don't know for how long

Is long as it's local, I'd do it. There is a Hank Asylum on CL I want, my only issue is that it would be 160-200 mile roundtrip. That adds gas stops, food stops, etc...and I feel a little guilty about that.

Do it while you can and don't infect anyone on the way. Mask up and hose everything down, even if you believe it's a hoax. The survivors will thank you.

Last edited:
Is long as it's local, I'd do it. There is a Hank Asylum on CL I want, my only issue is that it would be 160-200 mile roundtrip. That adds gas stops, food stops, etc...and I feel a little guilty about that.
It's. Hank.. DO IT!!!

Do it while you can and don't infect anyone on the way. Mask up and hose everything down, even if you believe it's a hoax. The survivors will thank you.
I don't think it's a hoax. This hoax doesn't make sense. If it was some insidious ploy to control the people, why did China deny and suppress it? Why were Iran and Russia denying it? The most controlling, repressive regimes on earth didn't feel like getting involved in it? Doesn't make a gram of sense.

It’s a tough one. I’ve sold 4 bikes, a set of wheels, and bought a bike in the last week and a half. During each transaction we kept our distance, until the actual money exchange. Washed my hands when I got home. Figure it’s less people involved then one trip to the grocery store.
And being out of work due to this, I’d consider selling essential right now. At least personally.

Yeah, I'm on the other side of the coin, still going in to a warehouse with a few hundred other people has me concerned about what I'm passing on to others!

I work in telecommunications, so I'm an essential worker, but I'm glad I work alone and seldom see other people. After, I use a glove to pump gas and clean it and my hands with isopropyl alcohol that I keep in the car (I always carry it in case of injury). It would have to be something that I really wanted at a good price to take the chance now and, if I did, I'd wear my gas mask to make the purchase and disposable gloves to load the bike, then another pair to unload it and clean it when I got home. Wish I stocked up on 40mm NATO filters before the prices went through the roof. I'm not too worried for myself, but I really don't want to pass it on to anyone else.

Spray it down with dilute bleach, or if you are worried about damage use hydrogen peroxide. Wear a mask, N 95 if you have them and gloves.I have a box of N 95 I bought at Menards hardware a few years ago. N 95 masks can be sprayed with hydrogen peroxide and allowed to dry. Probably better than running out of masks.

Latest posts

Back