Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Craigslist nightmares and dreams... funny stories

kingfish254 said:
junknutz1975 said:
kingfish254 said:
In response to my trade for old bikes barter posting, I was just offered up a "1964" BFK Schwinn StingRay.
http://savannah.craigslist.org/bar/3589760154.html

I kinda hated breaking the news to the guy on what he actually had.

so kingfish, how DID the heartbreaking go ?

Not well. Apparently I don't know anything about bikes and this is a 1964 ray that they have researched the serial number on and it is the fifth one that he has had. Even though I know it's pointless, I pointed out the seat, bars, Springer, non 20" front wheel, chainring, serial number location, seatpost bolt, stem, rims, etc.....

I really feel bad now. They guy is paranoid and keeps emailing about how he has verified the age of his bike with Schwinn (should I ask him when he started talking Chinese?). Someone else look at the photos and tell me I am wrong about this being a BFK????????

kingfish
you wanna know what i first noticed??
when have you ever seen REAL chrome turn that color ?
all chinese chrome turns that same bright caca color!! :lol:
thats a wally bike if ive ever seen one!!

has he emailed you pictures where he isnt standing 1/4 mile away from the bike?
is his thumb cleverly covering the made in china sticker? :wink:

junknutz1975 said:
has he emailed you pictures where he isnt standing 1/4 mile away from the bike?
is his thumb cleverly covering the made in china sticker? :wink:

I never went that far. I simply sent him info about what the bike really is and stated up front that I wasn't interested in the bike at all.
He is convinced that I am out to devalue and steal his bike for nothing. I am just trying to enlighten to poor soul.

King, no reason to be paranoid, you are dead on the money, here is my BFK that was found in a ditch and given to me. I thought mine was bad, but that guy's is worse, mine actually cleaned up REALLY nice.

Once again though, you're right, the allen bolt stem, the color, the seat, the springer, the pedals, the chainguard, etc...

normal_sting.jpg

Re: Craigslist nightmares and dreams- odd responses

Here's a few oddball or dumb responses I've gotten to ads I've posted over the years.

1- I always list a recommended height of rider for bikes I offer. I was selling a 26" wheel Schwinn's mens cruiser, and stated best for someone over 5'6" . A tiny (around 4' 9") young asian woman drives 1.5 hours each way to get it.. she is absolutely in love with it, but when she tries to get on for a test ride, she can barely mount the bike. I tell her it probably not the bike for her, but she is heartbroken. I think it was the first time I had to convince a buyer to NOT buy a bike. :|

2- On the other side of the coin, I am selling an old 24" higgins ladies bike, and note that it best for someone around 5' tall. Someone is fired up about it and comes to see it. She is over 6' tall and over 200 lbs. she straddles it, then complains it is a wee bit small for her. derrrrrrrr. :wink:

3- someone responds to my post for a dept store mt bike that was lightly used, well maintained, and I wanted $60 firm. The responder provides a 2 links; one for the cached Walmart dot com listing for the last time the bike was ever on their site, with the last lowest clearance price they ever had (49.97), and the second link was for a Craig's list post for the same bike asking $40 for it, but it was for a remote area like northern Minnesota. He writes that other are selling it for less, why is mine so expensive? I responded "Those are great prices, you should rush and go the bike from them" .. never heard back. :D

A few months ago I wanted a "spare" bike to ride in crappy weather, use on my trainer, or just to get another bike. Started looking on CL, late one night found an ad for an old 80's Fuji Team, neglected and dusty, $50.00
I got all tingly, I had one of those that I had bought new, I loved that bike.
Great, I'll get ahold of him in the morning. Next morning, sent off an e-mail. quickly got an answer, "sorry, you just missed it". Rats!!!
Turns out, the guy who had sold it recognized my name, it was the very bike that I had owned, it had sat unused for years. I asked him to contact the new buyer and let him know that I'd be glad to offer him a profit if he'd sell it back to me. No dice, it was already undergoing a transformation into a straight bar hipster townie. Saw pictures later, WAAAAH!!! :cry:

kingfish254 said:
junknutz1975 said:
kingfish254 said:
In response to my trade for old bikes barter posting, I was just offered up a "1964" BFK Schwinn StingRay.
http://savannah.craigslist.org/bar/3589760154.html

I kinda hated breaking the news to the guy on what he actually had.

so kingfish, how DID the heartbreaking go ?

Not well. Apparently I don't know anything about bikes and this is a 1964 ray that they have researched the serial number on and it is the fifth one that he has had. Even though I know it's pointless, I pointed out the seat, bars, Springer, non 20" front wheel, chainring, serial number location, seatpost bolt, stem, rims, etc.....

Schwinn experts like that are a dream, ain't they? :D

I saw this ad and ROLMFAO!
Here's an excript;

250 FIRM, text or call for questions at 706-393-2812
i bought new parts, paid around $340 all together
WILL ALSO TRADE FOR SOME DANK
WILL ALSO CONSIDER ANY TRADES!!

Here's your linky; http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/3610849652.html
[email protected]

Besides being stoooopid this is most 99% surely a child, minor, under the legal age or a cop, or both!!! Wondering if he'd trade for some spice which is still available at any and all health food stores if you know what to buy......Retarded!

I certainly hope a police officer answers that ad... is it illegal to try to buy marijuana? :?

Peatbog said:
Stolen ghost bike maybe.
wow!
you SO read my mind! :shock:

The guy says "works perfectly" but also says he's never put wheels or a chain on it. Also admits he was given the bike, but wants $200. Not saying you can't sell something you gave nothing for, it just makes it harder to sell when you admit it.

Most CL sellers are just trying to clear out their garages. Most should at least use the same internet conenction to do a little resarch first. In this case I am glad they did not.

I had a tough decision to either buy this Roadmaster for $85

3Ka3J63Hb5I75N85K4d2cfc41e73e77c3139e.jpg

OR this full suspension bike for $50. Which one do you think I bought? :wink:

3I43mb3l05N15L15E2d2c4082046f13ce1df2.jpg

I am still trying to decide why to call????
Tampa craigslisting:

tons of bikes and dike parts (new port richey)
all kinds of bike parts
bikes with motors bike frames

just call and ask me ill
give prices over the phone

please call
727 226 2242 • Location: new port richey
•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

kingfish254 said:
Most CL sellers are just trying to clear out their garages. Most should at least use the same internet conenction to do a little resarch first. In this case I am glad they did not.

I had a tough decision to either buy this Roadmaster for $85

3Ka3J63Hb5I75N85K4d2cfc41e73e77c3139e.jpg

OR this full suspension bike for $50. Which one do you think I bought? :wink:

3I43mb3l05N15L15E2d2c4082046f13ce1df2.jpg
Wanna off the Pro flex for a $100.00 ? :) or just that fork?

Latest posts

Back