Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people... Just bought a "mint" 21" banana seat from the local verison of CL. It included a sissy bar, so at 20$ I thought it was a reasonable buy. 14$ shipping ontop of that. After picking it up, first thing I notice it's incredibly carelessly packed, and smaller than anticipated. Turns out it's a 16", the sissybar has been broken off above the joints, and the resulting sharp edged has ripped the seat.. He literally just broke off the sissybar, probably because he didnt like the look or something, not understanding that once the bar is in 2 pieces, there is NO stability.. Honestly .... Luckily I haven't paid yet, so I've sent him a sharp message, but I will have to pay unless he agrees to cut the price. I don't wanna mess up my rating. Lesson learned, ask for current pics. Took some pics so you can see.
20170228_163926.jpg
Some tape will save it from tearing much more, but I'll need another sissybar if I want to use it on a ratrod or something..

Attachments

• 20170228_163939.jpg
    20170228_163939.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 20170228_163919.jpg
    20170228_163919.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
When you say "local version of CL" maybe you mean "ebay"? Here, CL is pretty much a wild west, trust but verify kinda deal. No feedback, reputation or escrow type payment system. Just a public forum with stuff for sale - and it is local only. You meet up and if you are happy with the goods you pay and everyone walks away. :) Now Ebay has systems to hopefully keep you from getting conned by dishonest people on either end, hopefully. Maybe your site there has a dispute process?

Sorry that happened...sucks. I'm not a fan of the CL system (chaos?), but, eBay style systems (ratings) have drawbacks as well. People are so gun shy of receiving retaliatory negative feedback that they don't give honest feedback when situations like this occur. You can end up with a serial abuser that has 'A+' status :(.

I hope you get it straightened out,
Jason

I had 1 seller on ebay who misrepresented an item as working that had obviously not run in years (burned windings and severe corrosion. He was pretty smooth operator (gave me a half price refund) and I gave "neutral" feedback. Only 1 tho. :rofl:

Air cooled hubs? Really?

Air cooled hubs? Really?
I wondered about that too, but as I said, I don't know much about vintage bikes. I was half hoping that Elgin had actually designed something like cooling fins to increase the hubs' surface area -- I don't know if fins would be very effective, but back in those days when innovation and advertising those "improvements" meant more potential sales, who knows?

My first thought was "Aren't ALL bicycle hubs 'air cooled,' unless you ride the bike in the rain, or through a creek, or through deep snow?"

Wow, and thanks! :thumbsup: Those are (pardon the pun) very cool -- the raised fin-like areas DO increase the surface area a little on the front, and even more on the rear hub where more cooling is needed because of friction from braking.

The next question is probably "does the increased surface area reduce the temperatures enough to justify the added costs of production and materials?" and I'm guessing "probably not" -- if it did, we would probably still see variations and improvements on that design today.

I'm guessing it was a feature of the manufacturing process, and somebody just named it "air cooled" to explain it. I can't imagine that those ribs improve heat dissipation very much. If they'd have been going to increased cooling, they could have done this more effectively in other ways. And, unless the hub is sealed and full of oil to transmit the heat from the bearings to the ridges - if those ridges are just full of air in other words - you'd actually have a more uneven transfer of heat. If you added oil to transfer the heat, then they'd be "oil cooled hubs." :)

(I'm no engineer... I am just BS-ing here and meaning to be a little funny... very little, I know.)

Kingfish - it was a typo. They meant rare collector item. And probably mean to add "mint."

Latest posts

Back