Creek Bed Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my friend who knows of my interest in bikes found this for me and brought it home, I have no clue what it is but its interesting maybe you all can tell me what it is.

IMG_1071.JPG

here is the coaster brake

IMG_1072.JPG

looks like a good place to start a build off bike! I noticed the rear end has no brace on the rear seat stays where the fender normally attaches.
is this weird or what?

thanks for your input.

That would be a 50s-60s Huffy frame. Check out Mainliners or Zephyrs to get an idea what it looked like. The lack of a fender brace is strange.. any chance it was there and busted off or was removed?

Jpromo said:
That would be a 50s-60s Huffy frame. Check out Mainliners or Zephyrs to get an idea what it looked like. The lack of a fender brace is strange.. any chance it was there and busted off or was removed?

yes in fact it does look like it was removed by some one it is smooth where it should be but there are signs that it was once there check it out
IMG_1074.JPG

what will this do to stability of the bike? do I need to replace it, I am not going to run fenders on this build so I dont really need it, or do I?

Re: Creek Bed Find (rust bucket )

well after some initial clean up I have found several bad spots of cancer.

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

looks like a mess right? is it? can this bike be saved? I thought about welding up and grinding off the spots but I don't have any way to brace them internally. it was in a creek bed so chances are this is bad cancer , and it's rotting from the inside out as well. I can sandblast the frame but I think I will only find more rusted through spots

What do you guys think?

RRB: Rusted Really Bad.

I ride on some questionable things, like frazzled tires, rusty, thin spokes, rebent forks, etc--but I may stray away from riding that frame for just the reason you mentioned--internal thinning.

here is what i would do, get a hammer or something to tap with and tap different spots on the whole frame to make sure its solid in other areas, other then that if the frame is fine internally re weld those holes up grind them down and ride it! it makes for a great story!

Nick.

Grab an ice pick and try stabbing at it, if it goes through your frame needs repair, if it doesn't then you're good.

Latest posts

Back