Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering how you were going to do the top bar...
Actually there will be a little more to the tank than just welding it in! ;)
I mentioned at the start that I would be throwing in some vintage ratrodbikes.com ideas and style, (basically an excuse to allow me to pirate ideas from past builds! :angelic:) well the tank will be one of them, here is where my inspiration comes from:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/tribute-to-our-friends.33022/page-2#post-347114

But that will only be on the front section of the tank, the rear will integrate with the extended seat stays in a nod to my first Diamondback's modifications. I don't have a mock-up done of that so you will have to use your imagination, I am kind of freestyling that area a bit... :happy:

bear-on-bicycle-1.jpg
I really hope I don't look like this on it, but it is a distinct possibility!

They call those mule bikes don't they? I have a Dahon Smooth Hound with similar geometry. It is fun and nimble to ride. Good luck with your build!
I have only heard them referred to as MiniVelo's but you may be right. I sure love riding my last one:

12870790183_fcabdbeb51_z.jpg

It has become my favourite bike, soon will be getting some 20x1.35 Kojaks and I have designed some new bars that are even more extreme but should be more comfortable than those crazy aero ones, how does anyone ride safely and comfortably with them? I suppose they are more flexible and less overweight! :21:

Luke.

Topped out at 12 degrees and been raining all day, so no progress to show today, was hoping to get the wheelbase extension done at the very least.

I have has more time to think on the build which has led me to follow the "Bomb proof" idea even further, I may as well use the strongest parts and components I can find and really make this the bike that is almost indestructible, so instead of the Diamondback hollow tube 3 piece cranks shown earlier I will be using these forged steel items off my Freeagent/KHS Zach BMX:

13900272068_113b2cc5b5_z.jpg

They are heavier, but they will be even stronger.

Also pirated from the Freeagent will be the stem and possibly the bars, you can see the comparison with the Diamondback items here:

14087331454_6dab331107_z.jpg

13900240909_10554a9e60_z.jpg

Twice the size, replaceable grade 8 bolts that have real nuts, not just screwed into aluminium. Probably will also use the thickwall fixed head seatpost from the Freeagent too, but the Weinmann wheels and hubs from the Diamondback will stay, they are far stronger than the singlewall ones on the Freeagent and other bikes I have. Really with the component swapping and the freestyle seat stay conversion this is turning into the grown-up brother to my school bike!

Also, a name at last for the bike: "Nuke Proof"

Luke.

Actually Luke, those 3 piece cranks are about 10 times stronger than the one piece!
I actually have a set, tough as nails! All one piece cranks I have ran, bent with my legs, even cro-mo ones.

Actually Luke, those 3 piece cranks are about 10 times stronger than the one piece!
I actually have a set, tough as nails! All one piece cranks I have ran, bent with my legs, even cro-mo ones.
These are both 3 piece splined pinch bolt cranks, but I did do some research and the hollow tube ones are stronger, the forged ones are thinner in cross section and can be bent in or out easier. Thanks for the heads up Mikeeebikey! :thumbsup:

Luke.

So, 3:45 am here, still trying to work out bits for the build in my head...
Did a mock up of what I was thinking with the bike and it looks horrible... :(

13903736490_5cc91aed14_z.jpg

Going to have to change it up a bit, I don't want to but it is going to have to shrink in height in order to look right, might then need a tall layback post and my set of Haro Kneesaver 2 bars fitted just so I can ride it... At least it looks better, in fact it looks great:

14067224766_2455f4e56d_z.jpg

Luke.

These are both 3 piece splined pinch bolt cranks, but I did do some research and the hollow tube ones are stronger, the forged ones are thinner in cross section and can be bent in or out easier. Thanks for the heads up Mikeeebikey! :thumbsup:

Luke.
Glad to see that; I was about to let you know that the hollow ones are stronger than those forged ones, but I didn't wanna be rude. Good on you for finding out yourself.

Just a heads up: NukeProof is a bike company, which mostly makes mtb frames and components these days, but they made bmx components BITD (most famous, probably, for their hubs in the mid-school era)... Your build, so you can name it whatever you want, but it'd be like naming a build "new departure" or something....:crazy:

Thanks 808, I will think of a new name...

I threw together the Freeagent and took it for a ride, it is 2" longer than the Diamondback standard so gives me some idea what the extra legroom will be like. I actually think now that the 2nd mock-up I did will fit me pretty well, there will be no need for kneesaver bars or anything crazy like that.

I did an overlay of the comparitive position of the bars and seat between the two mock ups, and this is what I came up with:

14094982184_4539c8b928_z.jpg

The seat position is actually not far off, and that is the main issue with my height, so I will run with the better looking 2nd mock-up.

So it is my current direction:

14067224766_2455f4e56d_z.jpg

Moved the trailer all my tools are in and my saw horse bench undercover this morning, rain is predicted to be pretty constant for the foreseeable future, so at least this way I will still be able to work.

Luke.

Been playing more with mock ups, found some bikes I like, went through some pics and played with them, here is a Worksman Low gravity with the rear wheel made 20" too:

14115505733_8282ba694a_z.jpg

That has proportions that would fit me, a nice high top tube and yet it still looks good, so I figured maybe my problem is trying to use that formed tank, so hunted up some Felt bikes, then decided on the Felt Chief as I like the style of it:

14092306002_7d75c92441_o.jpg

And gave it some 20" wheels:

13908815630_00d74750fe_o.jpg

That looks good, worth more effort!
So on with a full mock up, including the switch to BMX accessories:

13908815860_93d1bb858e_o.jpg

So now I have a plan! My problem was getting the frame angles right, solved that now and will go ahead as that mock up is.

Got to come up with a name though, all I have so far is "Mini Chief" and I am not sure if I like that or not...

Luke.

It almost has the side profile of a Roman Chariot....
1058610-chariot_16657_lg.gif

That's a cool name...Chariot.

Carl.

I still like that mini-velo-truck pic you showed me earlier.

I like this build idea man keep up the good work :D

I still like that mini-velo-truck pic you showed me earlier.
You mean this one?

13872435145_7539ca791f_z.jpg

Actually it is interesting you say that, the proportions on the new one have come out pretty close to that, should have stuck with it rather than try to integrate a split tank and freestyle seat stays... :crazy2:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back