Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bean!

It is a slightly odd little bike, but I love the fact that someone my size can ride it comfortably and cruise around all day, and if they saw some dirt jumps, a pump track or a skate park the bike is ready for that too.

Amazingly even though the original BMX was a heavyweight, it does not seem so heavy now, I guess they are just heavy for their size and now that I have made it bigger it seems more appropriate...

Quoting my last post for the new page:

A two steps forward, one step back kind of day today, woke up coughing and spluttering with the flu again, so guess I didn't really get over it, so went back to bed. Woke up about 2pm in the afternoon and felt better, went for a drive to get some groceries and pick up a new wire brush wheel while I was out:

14158044635_b38492baa6_z.jpg

I decided last night that even though it would be difficult, and time consuming, and no one would ever see it, and a total waste of time because my welds are good anyway, to pull apart the top tube/tank and sleeve the joins, just to back up the "Bomb Proof" style I am going for.

13971379117_cbafaa2130_z.jpg

This is made difficult because of the curve in the tubing and also the tank join, but found some curved tubing that was a nice fit inside (coincidently from the same Huffy I took the other curved tube from) and cleaned it up and got it inside the joiner piece:

14134859176_bdd6902b70_z.jpg

I had to do quite a bit of filing inside the tank to get it to slide in but got it there eventually:

14155228472_2031bba5e7_z.jpg

So tacked all that back up, much easier this time because the sleeve held everything in place!

Now of course because I sleeved the tube where the seat tube is going through I made the next bit harder too!

I have figured out that one thing that makes certain bikes look better than others is matching the headtube and seat-tube angles, so I got out my angle finder and a 1 meter rule (40") and set it to the headtube angle, then moved back to the BB and marked on the top tube where the seat post would come through the top tube, surprisingly very close to my guess, just slightly further forward, I really wish I had a hole saw for the next part because it took lots of cutting and filing to get it to where the new seat tube could slide through. I cut the seat-tube out of an old 10 speed road bike as it had the same inner and outer diameters as the original.

Slid it in, double checked the angles and tacked it in place:

13971374607_c3e64f4cfe_z.jpg

Starting to look like a complete frame again! I will cut the tube, drill and split it when I decide on a height.

I had to mock it back up with a seat and bars:

14134854706_5f13620a46_z.jpg

Looking good! Very happy!

As you can see in the photos, by this time is was getting dark and time to pack up, but I really wanted to see what it would look like up on those wheels and tires that inspired the build!

14134853436_65663c9254_z.jpg

13971367649_eac78f4342_z.jpg

Luke.

Looking forward to the look on the kids faces at the first skate bowl/park you ride into with this.:39:
Between your height and the bike style fitting it as well, there should be some very puzzled people.:banana:
Although with Big Jim already in the stable, I would assume that is a reaction you are getting very used too.

Looking forward to the look on the kids faces at the first skate bowl/park you ride into with this.:39:
Between your height and the bike style fitting it as well, there should be some very puzzled people.:banana:
Although with Big Jim already in the stable, I would assume that is a reaction you are getting very used too.
Your not far off Dave! Unfortunately BigJim is no longer in my stable, I sold it to a local guy who is taking it to the car shows, it is becoming quite the hit! I took these photos from local car show websites:

13794505195_8f15a97f98_z.jpg

13940840801_5b3fd7cf4a_z.jpg

13963999203_32a463c813_z.jpg

This is what I am freaking people out with lately:

12870790183_fcabdbeb51_z.jpg

Luke.

Hey you are coming up with a heap of interesting variations on any themes you touch.
The costs have to come from somewhere and Big Jim is unique enough to have a long and varied ownership enjoying it for many years to come.

Watching this makes me want to go buy some welding equipment. Stance is looking good, still reminds me of my Smooth Hound.

How cool is that ! man that look like a great bike to ride (envy)
13971367649_eac78f4342_z.jpg

Couldn't resist another digital mock up:

14158715245_b391e7199e_z.jpg

Luke.

I just could not help my self again by suggesting something:oops::banghead:
test_zpscfc26f0f.jpg

Hey you are coming up with a heap of interesting variations on any themes you touch.
The costs have to come from somewhere and Big Jim is unique enough to have a long and varied ownership enjoying it for many years to come.
Thanks Dave!

Watching this makes me want to go buy some welding equipment. Stance is looking good, still reminds me of my Smooth Hound.
Thanks MF, It does have similar geometry to the Smooth Hound, so I can see what you mean, the good thing is, I can be pretty sure it will work in that case!

I love welding, it is a good skill to have and if you have the equipment, you might be surprised how often you use it around the house, on the car, bikes. (obviously!)

Luke.

Looking good Luke.
Have you tried another digital mockup with the cycletruck straight bar?

Hey man, think door panels...I like the holes also.

Brooks has some cool new leather pouches, look like saddle bags, meant to hang from a bar. Could work in that open space.

Brooks has some cool new leather pouches, look like saddle bags, meant to hang from a bar. Could work in that open space.
I hear Brooks and my wallet shudders! But I like your thinking, some nice soft bags hanging from a secondary bar could look really cool, I will do some thinking...

Luke.

Been thinking on various BMX freestyle ideas from the past and a keep coming back to the "Bashguard" a guard usually made with two tubes from the downtube under the bb and joining back on to the chainstays and then covered in an aluminium or nylon grind pad.

Haro Master:

13980387270_6e3f07c542_o.jpg

GT Aggressor:

14163712271_af6b7816f9_o.jpg

And of course the Diamondback version, the DB Tailwhip:

14167019455_8390f28156_o.jpg

Thinking I might incorporate one onto the bike, it already has the downtube geometry similar to the GT and DB bikes shown above...

What do you guys think? Am I taking the freestyle idea too far?

Luke.

Latest posts

Back