CyberKlunk: Twin Halo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year was my first build off. I build a lot of bikes every year, but nothing like this; which was my vision of a Steampunk/Mad Max bike.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/chunkpunk-doneski.83252/

Even though I was cramped for time, I did manage to get that bike about 75% completed from my original vision. With these build off bikes, at least the good ones to me; are the ones which display creativity, imagination and do things that havn't been done before, yet still maintain a good and comfortably riding bike. Which is the most important thing in a bike to me. Having a cool looking bike is worthless to me if you don't or can't ride it.

To accomplish a vision of what I want my bikes to be, I first think of a theme or concept, then try to incorporate elements of that style throughout the whole bike.

This year, I'm going even more modern than my bike was last year, Infact, it will be so modern, that its from the future!

So with that, my theme for this year will be CYBERPUNK.
I plan on taking elements of that genre and integrating them into a bike build.
Just like last year, I plan on doing a few things that no one else has ever done on a bicycle.

Some of the theme and style this bike has will be drawn from sources such as TRON, The Matrix, Bladerunner and Ghost in the Shell.

This bike will feature: Custom fenders, a custom tank, Custom wheels, some lighting and "electrical", changing parts around along with a few bits of style to bring it together.

Tentatively; I have named this bike CyberKlunk, as I plan on this bike being a klunker/bomber style cruiser, but that may change as I'm not 100% set on a frame and not sure if the theme will conflict with the frame choice.
That said, here is the frame I'll be using starting out. Not really sure what it is, but I think it looks cool.

Bad news bears. First day.. started breaking down the bike.. found a crack in the rear stays.

Not a cool thing. I literally just bought this guy 3 days ago, and just started breaking it down tonite.
#1 it's a klunker, and I like the teeth I have remaining and no health care
#2 I have no welding equipment or skill to fix such a problem
#3 Using your only frame change the first day? Eek. Not sure which to go now.

So, brought the frame broke down and over to a neighbor's to get welded. However, I think I am going to change my frame anyways.

This concept came about last year during BO9, and I really wanted to switch over to this build, but I did not have the parts to convey my vision.

That said, I will be moving to a frame that better fits that...

Bummer about the crack.
What's the new plan?

Going over to check on the weld status. I did break down that Mohawk Industrial cruiser to the frame, but I don't want to commit my only frame change just yet.

I think that one looks a little better for a clunker build, but still in the back of my head I really, really want to use my ??? for this concept, but it wouldn't be a "clunker". However the "do-dads" (and I have a giant pile of them for this build) don't exactly scream klunker, or fit for a bike to be beat on.

I have probably 30 hrs worth of work to do on the wheels alone, so those will be the first thing I knock out, as they will go on whatever frame I decide on.

Personally; my build off bike last year had the best/coolest wheels I've ever seen on a bike. These will be cooler.

Here's a preview of some of the stuff I'll be using.

Tires, well they need to pop and what pops better than green tires ? I picked these up off craigslist about 3 years ago for $20. I didn't know why, or what I would use them for, but they were the right price for a cool looking tire.

The green is great, but the black walls make it even better. But the coolest thing going for these tires on this build is the name.

Twin Halo. This will be incorporated into the bike's name and style.

To give you a sneak preview of where I'm heading on the wheels...

Some other additional parts to be used:

Haro Fusion sprocket. Nice and thick, and the fusion/radioactive design will play very nice with the overall futuristic concept.

GT Piston Stem. Off a mid school GT BMX bike.

Chrome GT's and Dyno's were the coolest bikes ever when I was a kid, so one of the first bikes I built getting into this hobby was what I would have considered my grail back when I was a kid. Right now I have 3 Chrome GT/Dynos built, and another 5 waiting to be rebuilt. Bikes are a sickness people!

And the last part:

Just a ratted out seat off a late 40s Schwinn Skiptooth. Not sure I'll end up using this or something else. Not sure how this will feel or flow with the overall bike, it may just be too ratty.

Are those trash can lids you are using for wheel covers?
I guess this build is headed to the dump. :D

That's funny you mention that. There's some stuff I've salvaged from work that'll be used as a highlight.

In true rat fashion all the stuff on this build was sitting around, there's a few things from my build thread last year I didn't end up using, plus the parts bikes I'm stripping. Should be much cheaper than last build. New bikes and parts add up quick!

So, work was done over the weekend amazingly enough. As I took the kid out on his first bike ride!

Here our sweet ride!

Back to the build;

Heres the handlebars I plan on using. Just some old school BMX bars. White won't work for this build. Had to paint em.

Have some other stuff going on with the bars. Ill come back those later...

Using an old set of heavy duty wheels with a Bendix 76 hub.

Of course, gotta go black! Sweet wheel painting rig I got huh? Just an upside down scrap pile GT.

So, my plan on the wheels is to take those garbage can lids, cut the edge off of them, drill some holes for the hub bolts, and some holes to bolt them together.

I went with these lids for a few reasons.
Firstly, the custom wheel covers I saw last year (ford's and the captain America bike) Took a pretty significant amount of time to make, these are flexible, so they will require minimal modification in order to fit over the wheels.

The second reason was that they have 2 perfectly round edges molded into them.
This plays well with the "Twin Halo" tires.

This gives me a place to put the EL wire in a perfect circle. Having the wheel covers allows me to hide the wiring in between, and I can just zip tie the battery pack to each wheel.

The discs will be painted black, and some "aging" techniques will be applied as well.

Heres what the EL rope lights up like.

This bike should have a very distinct "night" mode with a few lighting details on it.

And, 2 other things to preview for the build. Take your best guesses how I use them ;)

The first is some extra wire loom I had from last year. I've painted it a combination of black and aged bronze.

And.
My secret weapon of cool this year.(and I have a few)

Custom tank anyone?

The bike itself with be a majority black, Green accents with tires, and lighting features, custom tank and minor chrome or natural metal bits.

Latest posts

Back