Daddy Long Legs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattiThundrrr

Rattus All Terrainus
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've kinda lost the love. Don't really wanna build. Just not feeling it. Hopefully this will knock me outta my funk.
Starting point
IMG_20200620_111244887.jpg

Nishiki Expedition, but this is interesting:
IMG_20200620_111332438_HDR.jpg

"Special Design Mountain Bike Chrome-Moly Tubing"
IMG_20200620_111318126_HDR.jpg

Funny thing, I found a Norco version, but they used different steel.
ad_4_1593048101901.jpg
ad_1_1593048101893.jpg

Araya rims
IMG_20200620_111446820_HDR.jpg

The axle and bearings are really good on these, but they're heavy as heck and I'm not fond of one sided pedals:
IMG_20200629_170109932.jpg

This looks more like a cake than a seat!
IMG_20200629_163237449.jpg

Warning: MTB rack may be less super than advertised!
IMG_20200629_163213311.jpg

Plan is a long distance path rider. Not really off road, but able to handle it if necessary. Weight loss is a must, maybe 1x6, different bars, but keep it cheap and dirty, no paint, just clean up. We'll see what parts fall into my lap.
Going to have to decide on some bars, I'm leaning towards a Velo Orange Tourist Bar
vo_tourist_bar-2_large_2x.jpg

but the weirdo in me is curious about butterfly bars
Butterfly-Trekking-Handlebar-for-Bicycle-Touring.jpg

Does anyone know about old school cantis? These are cool, but I can't help but think I could use a little more power.
IMG_20200620_111347129_HDR.jpg

Can they be upgraded to more modern cantis? It looks like the springs to open them mount differently, and I don't know about the lever angles and lengths, would pass reach rims, etc? Or should I just stay simple and put new pads and leave as is?

Does anyone know about old school cantis? These are cool, but I can't help but think I could use a little more power.
View attachment 128488
Can they be upgraded to more modern cantis? It looks like the springs to open them mount differently, and I don't know about the lever angles and lengths, would pass reach rims, etc? Or should I just stay simple and put new pads and leave as is?
I have replaced old cantilever brakes with V brakes on the same mounting bosses. Works great.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Here's why I stopped. Last thing of the day, let's get the stupid reflectors off the wheels.
IMG_20200629_181420813.jpg

SNAP!!! Now I need a spoke wrench, a spoke, and knowledge. Or new old wheels. But I like theses!

Dude, this will make an excellent path bike, especially with the cro-moly tubing!

Hopefully this will reignite your ‘build’ fire.
I did a similar build to my old Diamondback, then sold it...
3c74212470e94a4aa78cd4808311d181.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked at moustache bars, they seem to work better with road bike bars. I'll be using these big chunks of metal
IMG_20200710_115108801.jpg

Also looked at Moloko, it's too weird and expensive. And believe it or not, I have an exercise bike tucked away in the remote storage spot, I considered bars like that. But that's not for me. I'm building this one so I can ride it, not worrying about style points. Cheap simple fun

drill a hole in those seized rack bolts, then pound a square fluted bolt remover in. they'll come out. after you soak 'em of course. Good luck.

Man, I soaked them in rust buster. Heated them. Cooled them. Whacked them. They didn't budge. The heads were like putty, so easily stripped. Started as hex, after that got rounded, they became Robertson when I hammered a screwdriver in there. After that got rounded, I made them flat heads with the Dremel. After that, I tried drilling them out. Somehow, my screwdrivers and Allen keys can mash the steel like me butter, but my drill bits can't cut it. Then I got angry and ground em down. Removed some of the paint in the process. Grrrrrrr. I don't plan on using the rack mount, so they'll stay in. Maybe someday, I'll buy an extractor, but I doubt it. This beastie will not be pretty. Where I ride, that can be beneficial

Here's the finished product:
IMG_9272.jpg

Just kidding, let's call that inspiration. Unless I find a Stumpy to donate it's frame. Here's what you do. Download the above pic, print it out bike sized. Go to the local shop, pick up about six German tall boys, go to that neighborhood spot and give the guy some dollars for the magic in his hand. Consume enough of the Germans and the magic stuff to get you to the point where one eye ain't lining up, and the focus is all gone. Now look at the picture you printed. There it is, Daddy Long Legs.

This bike is starting to make me tingly. The chain and pedals are off, so I gave the crank a hefty spin to assess the bottom bracket. It spun. And spun. And spun. Quietly, smoothly, nothing to hear here.

But it's still spinning.
And spinning.
"Holy moly, those bearings are pretty good considering they're on the high side of thirty something."
On closer inspection, it all makes sense
IMG_20200712_185259993.jpg

Does that say Tange in there?!
Guess I won't have to change that.
Does anyone know about weird old headsets?
IMG_20200712_185353928.jpg

This one says Tien Hsin. It has a really nice lock washer in there, the mating surface is toothy to lock it and the nut together.
IMG_20200712_202838164.jpg

Apologize for the quality of the last one, it's dark in the garage, forgot to take it when the sun was up

Last edited:
Here's the finished product:
View attachment 128601
Just kidding, let's call that inspiration. Unless I find a Stumpy to donate it's frame. Here's what you do. Download the above pic, print it out bike sized. Go to the local shop, pick up about six German tall boys, go to that neighborhood spot and give the guy some dollars for the magic in his hand. Consume enough of the Germans and the magic stuff to get you to the point where one eye ain't lining up, and the focus is all gone. Now look at the picture you printed. There it is, Daddy Long Legs.

Diamond frames with fat tires = my boo! :)

I've got a set of 26x1.75 cruiser tires picked out. The reason is cuz I already have them. I may switch to something more "gravel" later. We'll see

You spelled 26 x 2.35 wrong...:) ;)

Latest posts

Back