DANA transmission.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked this thing up today, it's in super condition and There was no way I was leaving without it!
The reason I couldn't leave without it is because I've never seen one before and I was fascinated with the concept and of course the name "DANA" on a bike!
Anyway, the thing is heavy and I just might use it in conjunction with a 2 speed kick back hub if it will work like that.
Does anybody know if that configuration would work?
I may also consider selling it if anybody has an offer to throw at me.
9f5ddb9c.jpg

Cool man. I got one this summer at a garage sale. Mine is a 3 speed and its a free wheel, i strapped it on a bike i had sitting around but i could not get it to shift. Dont know if the cable is seized or something inside is not working right. Have you tried yours yet?
HPIM8155.jpg

no its fine, just turn the crank setup 180 degrees and itll look right. :wink: thats pretty sweet! how much were they originally, and from what era?

Will not work with a kick back hub. it has the freewheel in the trans, I eliminated the cable ...as it just seemed funky to me,and made my own stick shift out of a hydraulic lever off a tractor, but my coaster brake dont work on my build cause of the freewheel.
hoffman006.jpg

I just thought the cable section would come out the back for some reason. That thing is pretty crazy though. I wonder how that thing would be with a fixed gear? lol since it's got a freewheel built into the unit.

I was actually very brave or stupid, but I had to open it up....morbid curiosity, and I kinda got it back together it works, I am just not 100% what I should use for lubrication, I will probably take it apart again in the future to put the rite stuff in it,
lost012.jpg

and here's a better pic of the build
baptism003.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
John c said:
Gold Street Customs said:
Hand brakes or Sticky Vans :shock:
Looks like I'll be buying sneaks more often cuz I hate hand brakes!

Or build a Suicide Brake like Double Nickel made on his RRBBO5 bike.
Yeah that is a sweet setup! I've seen a couple different ones on this site.

Latest posts

Back