"Deluxe 6" Rat Racer build diary ALMOST DONE!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Deluxe 6" Rat Racer

johnp.smith said:
How am I gonna win when you can make parts like this? These are awesome

These are available to anyone here on RRB through Jones & Son. I did the design work myself but he offers design as well as making the badges.

Re: "Deluxe 6" Rat TOOLED LEATHER SEAT UPDATE

In the words of some of my Middle School students: "OMG that seat is sick!" Well done...

"Deluxe 6" Rat Racer ANTIQUED BRASS UPDATE

Antiqued some brass parts. Cut the metal for the tank sides. Now need to finish shaping the tanks and get then fitted...

DSC04802.jpg

DSC04800.jpg

DSC04814.jpg

DSC04804.jpg

DSC04816.jpg

DSC04815.jpg

Re: "Deluxe 6" Rat Racer ANTIQUED BRASS UPDATE

AKB said:
Awesome stuff 8) How did you go about antiquing the brass?

I built a container that has a suspended platform which I put the parts on with a top secret formula (Hydrogen nitride, otherwise known as Spirit of hartshorn or in laymens terms good 'ol fashion ammonia) in the bottom so the brass is not actually touching any liquid. Depending on the amount of antiqued look you want you can leave it in for as long as it takes. In my case I left it in for several hours. I also rubbed my fingerprints all over one brass nut to see if it would make a difference and noticed it gave it the green tarnish so I suppose you could figure out different looks. I am new to this so I am still experimenting.

holy moly, that brass is cool!!!

8)

Very cool build, Love the aging of the brass, and the rust finish, would love to see the tank with a faux finish to match. I am not a banana seat guy but I love the leather work you did. Definitely looking like a top 3 candidate. Great Job!

Petrohead,

You are doing Arizona proud; keep up the great design & execution.

Really diggin the brass parts! 8)

Here is a quick recap of the build. Unfortunately, I will not finish as planned as between my knee surgery I had at the beginning of June has kept me from a lot of work. Now I am off to Wisconsin to help some family out and will not be back to finish the work. I will get what I can done in the next couple days before I depart but have already had to cut corners to get this far with the time I had. It will have to be submitted as done as I can get it :roll:

I am proud that at least 75% of the parts came from here on the forum starting with this frame...
Frame-1.jpg

With some slight mods and a little repair to the frame, I got the canvas started as well as cutting the the forks down and threading them...
Frame2.jpg

Cut up some BMX bars I knew would fit the look I was after...

Frame3.jpg

Rusted the H E double toothpick out of the frame after sandblasting it for good measure..
Frame4.jpg

Then proceeded to tape off my stripe lines and rattle can it with a fine flat black...
Frame5.jpg

At this point it was starting to look like what I envisioned. Now comes the longer hours of testing and modifying parts to start making it a ride-able bike as I feel the need to build bikes that ride as good as they look, which most of you know is not an easy task all the time!. Some of the mods include building a seat post from an old BMX stem, building a mount system for the seat, Modifying the stem to fit the fork I wanted to use for the build which ended up being one of the most time consuming ordeals. Removing a pressed in tube, turning a new one on a lathe to fit (thanks Karas Kustoms and member FATKID for the machine work!) then pressing the new one back in which was fun in itself. Modifying a spring from a different style springer and hardware to the fork. Designing tanks (one of the things I had to skip was the elaborate but very kewl mounting system for the tanks. Slightly modifying the frame to fit the big wheel and tire combo.
Frame6.jpg

The leather work was also rushed and if I would have had more time I would have redone the seat cover although it works for an ol rat rod...
Frame7.jpg

Designed some badges for the bike. Terry @ Jones & Son took care of making my drawing a nice shiny brass badge! Thanks Terry!!! Then I proceeded to antique the brass to match the bras wok in the frame, the leather work details and tank rivets.

Frame8.jpg

Then I drew up some tank sides, had them cut on a plasma table, rusted them, painted them, and drilled and pounded some brass rivets to follow through with the detail..
Frame-9.jpg

I still have plans for a leather tool pouch, some more paint work and a couple small details but will have to see how father time treats me in the next couple days.

This being my first build-off I must say I have learned a thing or two for next year. Although I didn't get everything I wanted to done, I had a blast doing this. Thanks to all the other members who follow the builds, the fellow builders, and Steve and the staff for creating such a great place for us to do this!!!!

There are sooooo many cool elements going on with this build! Keep it up!

Latest posts

Back