Desert Rat - ified Columbia...Back in the BACK40 Again! video pg3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
I actually bought this frame from a guy in Minneapolis last year at this time, while I was in Mesa, AZ. I had thought to have my son ship it out for the ORBO 2016 klunker build-off. Then I decided to have him send the Schwinn '51 DX straight bar frame, and this Columbia spent the last 12 months hanging in the BACK40.

Earlier this Fall, while waiting for the MBBO voting to commence, I pulled down the frame, grabbed a set of fenders that were original to Faded Glory, an old seat, and the Columbia springer fork I had purchased the previous year as well. I started with some assembly, some rat-ification techniques on frame and assorted parts, purchased my first set of colored tires (desert clay red), a set of coke bottle grips from @ifitsfreeitsforme here on the RRB site (love em! fat and firm, yet cushy) and a new front wheel.

Now, a year later, I am back in Mesa, and ready to finish this bike off so I can have it for cruising the canal and bike paths with the AZ Coaster Club, a local vintage bicycle club with a number of RRB members.

I am awaiting the arrival of a Park Tool bike work stand that should be here on Thursday. Until then, I may monkey around a bit in my new digs; BACK40 SW (Southwest). A storage space I rented at a bargain basement price for the next 3 months that is only 2 blocks from our condo!

Looking forward to a great build off with y'all! Here are a couple shots of the Desert Rat, and there are more in the BACK40 SW intro video linked below. RaT oN!

20161105_184758.jpg

20161105_184637.jpg

20161105_141537.jpg

First update.....
Got the tire mounted to the new front steel wheel. Fender mounted so it doesn't rub.

Also added a piece of composite board (upside down version of my fork mount bike hauler) to the top of the drawer unit. Full 5' bench now. I'm liking this space more and more.....:grin:
20170101_132728.jpg

20170101_133422.jpg

Handsome looking steed this one is already. Love the locker shop "Back40 SW". Looks like you're having lots of fun as usual.
Oh yeah, this place is cozy! Probably be a little warm in the summer, but perfect for this time of year. Just took Desert Rat for a spin down the canal....rear wheel is pretty tweaked,has a hop and lots of wiggle side to side. And all the spokes are rusted tight. May have to pick up a rear wheel replacement.

Very cool build. Did you do the seat post yourself, details please.
The seatpost is a custom post by Chad, aka @slowriderz who has a custom parts shop. He isn't making this configuration in his regular production line, but if you can wait a short time I'm sure he can fashion whatever you are looking for. I've used them on nearly all my builds!

OddJob, looking great. Good looking, and a good rider (practical). Thanks for including me in the build. Best to you in the New Year.

OddJob, looking great. Good looking, and a good rider (practical). Thanks for including me in the build. Best to you in the New Year.
I didn't have to do much to the grips to make them fit in....perfect for this build! Just a little acrylic 'plaid' rubbed in for an aged look. Love the feel on the grips Ian. Happy New Year!

Update on Desert Rat...
Perfect day for some 'patina' on the chain guard. Taped off the dark blue area around the Columbia script. Added a coat of Satin Ivory, then removed the tape and gave it a dose of my fav textured multi-color Rust-in a can-oleum.
20170106_093709.jpg

20170106_094021.jpg

20170106_094337.jpg

20170106_100716.jpg

I didn't realize you two bikes going. Nice ride [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THAT is a cool fork.
Does it spring well?

Carl.

THAT is a cool fork.
Does it spring well?

Carl.
I'm still playing with the spring compression. This fork was in near mint condition when I found it on a bike hunt last year. Missing a couple of parts, but with help from a RRB member, and a trip or two to the hardware store, got it together and functional. VERY solid fork!

Latest posts

Back