disc brakes for older rattraps do they eixist?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
i am considering a disc brake front for my reaper spaceliner project.
the question i have is does such a setup exist to put onto a spaceliner rattrap springer?
i may go with drum brakes as well but the disc brakes would look killer on this build
anyone know anyplace that sells these let me know
thanks and please

After looking then up... i cant really so howvf you would , let alone should

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
that's what i was afraid of the rattrap springier is got too much movement for a disc brake to successfully work thanks nonetheless i think i will go with either drum brake or none at all

You can get disk adapters for regular springers, and monark style springer..
Seems to me, you would have to use the monark style adapter as a template for your rat trap.
Little bit of plate steel, a jig saw and a drill press will have you on your way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Go check out Ren-mans Project Chris builoff bike. He came up with a really clever solution with a floating bracket. Not sure it will work with the rat trap though. Looks like there may not be enough axle travel clearance.

I agree with the others. It might not be easy, but discs on a rattrap could be do-able, given some extraordinary craftmanship. The caliper would need affixed to the moving portion of the rattrap's dropout plate (not the fork blade), so that everything moves in unison.

You could definitely modify the rat-trap to accept discs; I agree that you want to put it on the rockers, and thatś a good point re: alignment; even with a drum, you´d need to fab a boss to anchor the reaction arm. But yeah, you could get a disc on there, and it work... but i don´t think the fork would hold up to the braking forces for long. I think you probably need to fab bigger rockers, in order to offer enough space for the disc tab, and they need to be extra beefy, to deal with the braking itself. Even if you did that, you´d have to worry about the fork tines and the struts...

As I recall, many good mountainbike forks designed for rim brakes were destroyed when discs became popular and shadetree bike fabbers welded disc tabs to older forks. Aside from the problems associated with low-quality hack jobs, riders found out that many forks didn´t have enough strength in the left tine to stand-up to repeated use of the disc brake. This is why modern rigid forks for disc brakes tend to outweigh older forks which were rim-only; they needed a thicker gauge of chromo to make sure the disc forks didn´t fold,,,,,

I think it might be cooler to design and build a disc springer from scratch. It would probably be the same amount of work, in the long run...

Latest posts

Back