Does your Sting-Ray have a great life story?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the story of a 1970 Schwinn Fair Lady. The bike started out with a "Campus Green" paint job, Sting-Ray handlebars, and a green banana saddle. Sometime around 1982, our neighbor put it out at the curb. Our No. 1 son, who had been riding a 16" Schwinn Pixie, was ready for an upgrade, so I replaced the bars and saddle with items better suited to a small rider. He rode it for a couple of years until he acquired a Redline BMX. About this time, No. 2 son was ready for the Fair Lady and he rode it until he got a BMXer. Next in line was the daughter. She wanted a different color, so she and I painted it pink (what else?) with brushes and a 1/2-pint can of enamel. Extra decoration included her name and hearts on the chain guard in purple.

And the wheel of bike karma turns... No. 1 son was attending NYU and hanging out in Greenwich Village. Muscle bikes were just the thing to ride around the village in the 90's. So he and I painted the bike lemon yellow (again with brushes), recovered a banana saddle with black vinyl, and reverted to hi-rise bars. Most recently, his wife rides the bike when they visit the old homestead. Next phase is likely to be a conversion back to a kiddie bike for the grandson, who is currently riding a Pixie.

Update... Both sons ride bikes to work most days. Daughter rides in triathlons; her current bike is black and white and way more high-tech than anything her dad ever dreamed of.

fairlady1.JPG
fairlady2.JPG

Latest posts

Back