Double-header

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got a line on these two rough gems and hope to have them in my possession by week's end. The blue bike is a ladies Wards Hawthorne, minus its tank and chainguard. Not sure what to make of the other one. Sweetheart ring and chainguard suggest Schwinn, but the fork says otherwise.

47774a4686cadbdcef64bf72d00fd947ee6e9b50-1.jpg

78a5755872a06c9a3c1440db97d23b71ffa93570-1.jpg

very cool. second one looks amf, cleveland welding, murray, definitely not schwinn

Well, somebody blabbed and the seller decided that they need to get a professional appraisal. Sigh....we all know how that's going to go. <cha-ching!>

I've come to believe the second bike is also badged Hawthorne, but sports a sweetheart ring for some reason.

Second bike is Hawthorne, CWC or Snyder made I don't know. They interchanged back then. Here's a 39-41 model:
24 haw.jpg

Last edited:
Well, somebody blabbed and the seller decided that they need to get a professional appraisal. Sigh....we all know how that's going to go. <cha-ching!>

I've come to believe the second bike is also badged Hawthorne, but sports a sweetheart ring for some reason.

There are non-Schwinn sweetheart sprockets that go back to the early teens. You can find them on some prewar Colsons, Shelbys, Columbias, among others. If you compare the hole in between the hearts at the outer edge with a Schwinn sprocket you can see the difference. The bike has a lot of characteristics of a Shelby built bike.

It's got a Hawthorne headbadge so it has to be Snyder or CWC.
Sorry to hear about the appraisal debackle. I remember driving across town to get a women's Raleigh with a 3 speed coaster hub. When I got there, he said he looked on the internet and now wanted 100 instead of 75. I really wanted a good SA 3 with coaster so we settled at 95 "because that's all the money I had on me". The worst was a guy who purposely set it up so 3 people showed up for the bike at the same time. He expected to get an auction going and said "Let's start the bidding!" I just left without a word.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back