RRBBO13 Double Trouble Fire Road Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have yet to jump in on a build off so here it goes. :)

Some builds are based off a single part, for this one I wanted to employ a Phil Wood drum brake set up I scabbed of a tandem.

Double Trouble Fire Road Cruiser by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

I wanted a sort of Lawwill Pro Cruiser type bike for my up coming Fire Road Cruise. Not like I need another bike! Haha So help me, I have a disease...

I had a blem loop section rusting away in the lab so I figured why not a looptail?

While our frames are 110mm, this hub is 135 I think, I did not measure it yet. So I have to widen out the loop a little. I did that by customizing it, I mean by putting in the vice and pulling really hard. :)

A mock up.

Parts are circling...the Pie Platter free wheel:

Going to to a 10 or 5 speed set up...

Welcome to the fun!
What a killer part to start from.
Love the looptail as well.

Welcome aboard! Got a great start, RaT oN~!

I've been thinking about this build for a long time, many different versions. The hub was on a road wheel and I did not have a socket big enough to get it off, so that was holding me back from starting.

The hub spacing was so far, I was worried about getting my crusty 1970's era derailleur to cover the distance so some mocking up was in order:

double trouble FRC by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

I used a spacer to solve the problem.

Got the dropouts "level" and tacked into place..

Welded both sides to they won't move on me.

Made some progress this morning instead of hitting the trails, I needed the rest after the ride I did on Monday--still sore. :)

Had to take the chainstay bridge down a bit to make everything fit ok. I tried using my tubing notcher but after nearly becoming a cripple I went with the ol' flap wheel and took it down a little bit at a time.

Double Trouble by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Doing some mitering, a close fit ensures you'll have better welds. Still hard to pull off for me but each iteration I get a little closer to the mark.

Most of front triangle is now tack welded to the rear, I still need to make the twin down tube assembly which is tricky so I'm going make a master tube set out of regular steel before I cut up by expensive 4130 tubing.

Some 4130 from Aircraft Spruce showed up...

double trouble by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

I spent some time trying to get the miter right on some regular steel before I started ruining some stuff that costs 3.50 a foot! ;)

Got the twin tubes in OK, frame looks pretty straight, tried to do a good chuck on welding ion the fixture so it does not move around on you...

Starting to look like a bike frame...

camera battery is dead so more later. :)

Yeah the phill wood drum has been haunting me... I was hoping to get a twin down tube Champion for the hub but now I see the spacing is different and good luck on getting that frame for a reasonable price, so I was thinking I could just make my own right? Way cooler..:)

I have yet to jump in on a build off so here it goes. :)

Some builds are based off a single part, for this one I wanted to employ a Phil Wood drum brake set up I scabbed of a tandem.

I wanted a sort of Lawwill Pro Cruiser type bike for my up coming Fire Road Cruise. Not like I need another bike! Haha So help me, I have a disease...

I had a blem loop section rusting away in the lab so I figured why not a looptail?

While our frames are 110mm, this hub is 135 I think, I did not measure it yet. So I have to widen out the loop a little. I did that by customizing it, I mean by putting in the vice and pulling really hard. :)

A mock up.

Parts are circling...the Pie Platter free wheel:

Going to to a 10 or 5 speed set up...

Nice !!!!! Welcome aboard,,,,, I can tell already you know what your doing nice skills & a pro cruiser [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice frame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got most of it welded up, a little more to do...

IMG_0858 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

IMG_0859 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

IMG_0860 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

IMG_0861 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr[/IMG] IMG_0860[/URL] by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Going to build it up before I do any mods to the frame or fork. I want to use this biplane fork and add a truss rod to it, not like I have anything against BMX styled forks just wanted to do something different this time to make the bike stand out more.

Some parts are circling...blue on blue w/silver accents is looking like the plan for now...

IMG_0857 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Drum brake for front wheel, as always trying to use what I have laying around the last thing I want to do is get more bike parts! :)

Latest posts

Back