Dr. Sizzle's "Nasferatu - The Koffin Kruiser"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK I wanted my first bike post to be my first build of this series. But I never got around to it.
So I am starting off with my RRBB04 Build. The Nasferatu- Koffin Kruiser. I decided to theme my
builds based on Classic movie monsters. The only real connection my builds have to movie monsters are
the color schemes. lol It started with my ZOMBIE KRUISER which I'll post when this build is complete.

So about this build. It starts with a pair of forks. I hit the jackpot finding a pair of NOS Western Flyer Special Edition forks.
Then I landed a 1950 Schwinn Hornet Spitfire DX Frame. Something good is going to happen here so heres the parts so far.

westernFlyerForks.jpg

HornetFrame.jpg

These will do. Not sure what they are off of but I like them.
bars.jpg

Scored these grips for $5!
grips.jpg

Treats! I had an old chrome headlight that was pretty badly pitted on the main body so I ground it down to bare
metal and repainted it. Photos to come. The two little lights $6 each. I'm not sure where these are going yet but
I thought maybe mounted under the seat would look Ratty like old blue dots on a Model A Ford or something.
treats.jpg

Guy at my local bike shop hooked me up with this chain I think will look pretty rad on here.
chain.jpg

Looking forward to finishing this soon.
Updates coming.

Thanks guys.

Dr. Sizzle

Sweet parts list dude! I'm jealous :mrgreen: ... I think my favorite are those little bee lights. Way cool...

Hey anyone know how I can hook up these lights with out using one of those tire powered generators? Maybe a way to mount a battery somewhere?
Or a link to a wiring tech or something?

Thanks

Tom

Done a bunch of stuff like that see the link below for battery mounting inside the headlight. Get the AA battery holder from Radio Shack or Frys(you might be able to do a C-size but the dynamo jobs are usually tight) and and maybe an LED replacement bulb the Night-ize ones are real bright, you could stick with the bulb but battery life will be rather short

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10766&hilit=aa+batteries+aa

Night-ize mini-mag led conversion, a bit more work

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4564&p=45458&hilit=led#p45458

I guess you get what you pay for. I tried putting on the cool red grips but it didn't work out too good.
Not sure where these grips are from but they were hard plastic and didn't fit any handle bars I own. So I tried boiling them
to soften up the plastic. That didn't work. Now they look like sausages and still don't fit. So I'm looking for another pair
of cool red grips. Here is a pic of the sausages.
gripsTrash.jpg

OK finally got some time to play.
I was in need of some new red grips after the mishap with the original grips. I found these in the shed and they'll do, for now.
newGrips.jpg

I stripped the bike down to bare metal and primed it with a can of Self Etching Primer. I love the dark greenish grey.
I may have to do an all primer grey bike one of these days.
primerFrame.jpg

While the frame was drying, I started cleaning all these old Schwinn parts. The front side of the Spocket was in pretty awesome shape but
when I looked at the other side. It was, well...not so nice. And this was after I scrubbed for a while.
dirtySpocket.jpg

Rusty, Greasy, and caked on goop. But after a bit of elbow grease, WD40 and a Brillo pad later...
I got it looking like new.
cleanSpocket.jpg

Now for some wet sanding and a fresh coat of paint on the frame.
paintedFrame.jpg

Tomorrow I will do a rough assemble and see how she rides before adding the fun stuff.

I got a lot of sad faces on my reply for sanding down the original paint on my hornet...but hey this is a Rat-Rod site...thumbs up from me 8)

OK finished just in the nic-o-time! Try'n to find time to do this was difficult. I rushed it at the end.
Not to mention the rain has been keeping me from the out side stuff. I'll take better outside pix when the rain stops.

finished1.jpg

very COOL bike ! bad to the bone another one of my favorites... 8)

Latest posts

Back