Dug up the derby car today

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This was my soap box derby car from around 25 years ago. It's been at a friend of the family's house for a long while, let their boys use it once me and my brother got too big for it. Got it back today though :cool:

IMG_3254_zps8ece8c68.jpg

It's really neat that you have something like that from your childhood. Most of us have none of the larger items from our youth. I wish some of the bikes that my sister and I had as kids were still with us, as well as a few other items from our youth. I can see where storing items like your soap box racer can be an obstacle though. Are any of your children at an age to use it?

That's pretty much the reason I drug it back home, got 1 boy who's 5 now and a nephew a couple months younger that should get a kick out of it. If you check the Official Soap Box Derby pages, you need a new kit to "officially" race ... which is pretty spendy. Along with a whole other run on of costly regulations to run it in the real deal finals. This will most likely just be a driveway / country road bomber :)

I guess the scouts could but the "All American Soap Box Derby" is an entity all its own. The local scouts built racers out of framing lumber / push mower wheels and a piece of rope and had more fun than you could expect. Everyone knows the really fun part is building the things and then crashing and tearing them up. :D

The AASBD is pretty similar to BMX racing in my opinion, you have to pay to play. Some of their rules are pretty absurd and unnecessarily $pendy if you ask me. Check out their website and you'll see what I mean.

Latest posts

Back