Dyno Bike History?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just gonna toss in some pics. The blue one has a head badge so from what I understand they didn't start using them till 2000.

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

Here's a few Huntington Beach Cruisers that were mentioned earlier
116HuntingtonBeachCruiser.jpg

117HuntingtonBeachCruiser.jpg

118.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122HuntingtonBeachCruiser.jpg

125HuntingtonBeachCruiser.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

130HuntingtonBeachCruiserTandem.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

133-1.jpg

A guy from Huntington started Oceanside Cruiser Company - note the Z lower top tube is reversed
124OceansideCruiserCompany.jpg

Wildcat said:
I've got a gloss black one from 1995: number 27 :mrgreen:

I just got one cheap. Can you date it by the serial number?

According to a post on the Copaderos site you can date the bike by the serial number which is found on the frame by the crank. The early years had stickers with the serial number printed on it. It looks like there is a two letter code for the model followed by one or two numbers - i.e. GY97=1997, MB99=1999 & MB1-2001. For more info search Dyno on their site.

Thanks, that would make mine a 2000 model. I can't find a website for Dyno, other than BMX.

Road Master said:
Wildcat said:
I've got a gloss black one from 1995: number 27 :mrgreen:

I just got one cheap. Can you date it by the serial number?

According to a post on the Copaderos site you can date the bike by the serial number which is found on the frame by the crank. The early years had stickers with the serial number printed on it. It looks like there is a two letter code for the model followed by one or two numbers - i.e. GY97=1997, MB99=1999 & MB1-2001. For more info search Dyno on their site.
You mean CHOPADEROS i think :x

Very interesting, I had no idea you could date the Dyno's, confused about mine though...
Got mine in frame form only, it's painted now but started out as the basic stock black w/ pale yellow front end, odd thing is the number under the crank is '1006', no letters, no other digits......

Tailwinds said:
Very interesting, I had no idea you could date the Dyno's, confused about mine though...
Got mine in frame form only, it's painted now but started out as the basic stock black w/ pale yellow front end, odd thing is the number under the crank is '1006', no letters, no other digits......

Does your Dyno have a headbadge? The reason I ask is they didn't start using badges till 2000 and if you don't have a badge that would make it an earlier model. For a while all the info wasn't stamped on the early models. Info like date of production was printed on a sticker fastened to the bottom of the BB. I'm going to include the link to the thread where it was being discussed and maybe you'll find your answer. There is good info on both of these pages.

http://chopaderos.com/forums/index.php?topic=214.45

http://chopaderos.com/forums/index.php?topic=214.60

Thanks for the links, I'll read up on those. My frame had a large water transfer 'D' decal for a head badge, no drill holes. So maybe mine's an early late model, or late early model....?

Also, from the close up pics I've seen of the head badged models there doesn't seem to be any visible mounting screws so I assumed they glued them on. The one I have coming is an earlier model with the "D" decal on the front. I think I've even seen two different shaped "D"s with the decals also. I'm going to paint my Dyno so the decal will be gone forever but I think I'm going to have a custom head badge made - one that looks like a Dyno badge but isn't the same. The bike should be delivered tomorrow so guess what I'm going to be doing - hee hee. I'm going to put it together as is first then start the customizing process. I've already got two different handlebars I want to try out and see how they look. I'm kind of a trial & error guy.

Anyways, if your Dyno was an early model with a sticker it may have been removed or lost. From the pics I've seen of them they looked more like a temporary factory identification thing than a permanent installation. The reason I listed the links is because there is one guy that went through his bike dating all the parts and I believe he had both a sticker and stamped info - his interpretations may help you ID yours. Good luck. Robert

That really was yellow! I've never seen any pics of a Dyno Roadster with yellow on it. Mine just got dropped off by FedEx a couple hours ago. The paint on the frame is in a lot better shape than I had anticipated. For now I'm just going to clean it up a little till I decide what to do with it.

Ride that thing! I rode mine to work all week and it cruises great. I think I need a laid back seatpost, or apes. The handlebars jab me in the stomach when I turn.

Just thought I'd toss in a pic of my Dyno Ultra Glide that I customized with springer forks, a laid-back seatpost and pike nuts on the fenders and seat. This is one of my favorites from my collection.

dyno002.jpg

Road Master said:
Does your Dyno have a headbadge? The reason I ask is they didn't start using badges till 2000 and if you don't have a badge that would make it an earlier model. For a while all the info wasn't stamped on the early models. Info like date of production was printed on a sticker fastened to the bottom of the BB. I'm going to include the link to the thread where it was being discussed and maybe you'll find your answer. There is good info on both of these pages.

http://chopaderos.com/forums/index.php?topic=214.45

http://chopaderos.com/forums/index.php?topic=214.60

The two Dyno Roadsters that I bought in March of '99 both had the Dyno headbadge on them. I will check the serial numbers for the date tonight.

I have a photo of my Dyno Von Franco serial number and it starts with "MT90..." I bought this bike in March of 2001 and the bike store said it was left over from the 1999 - 2000 bikes that they had. So much for the two digit date code - at least on the Von Franco series.

DesignIt said:
The two Dyno Roadsters that I bought in March of '99 both had the Dyno headbadge on them. I will check the serial numbers for the date tonight.

I have a photo of my Dyno Von Franco serial number and it starts with "MT90..." I bought this bike in March of 2001 and the bike store said it was left over from the 1999 - 2000 bikes that they had. So much for the two digit date code - at least on the Von Franco series.

My Dyno Ultra Glide (pictured above) has the D stamped on the frame and says Dyno everywhere instead of KK, and it's serial number starts with MT10. I know that it wasn't made in 2010, so I think this series (both the Von Franco and Ultra Glide are nearly identical) uses a different set of serial numbers.

siberian said:
on bottom bracket is number МТ91105294
is it 94 year?

Actually, I don't know if there is a precise method of dating the Dynos yet. If you go back to page 2 of this thread I provided a couple links to a discussion of this on the Chopaderos site. The guy over there that said he could date all his Dynos used a system that seemed to coincide with his Dynos as he bought them new and knows what the dates are. I'm not sure if he used the last two digits or the first two after the two letters. Check it out.

Latest posts

Back