Dyno Bike History?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have enjoyed reading about and seeing all of the fun Dyno's. I hope someone can help me learn more about my own Dyno Glide. Here is a link to a few photos. I could not figure out how to add photos directly to my post. Hopefully the link works!

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/Dynogirl/media/Dyno emblem_zpsbp6t2e86.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I bought "her" a little over a year ago from a bike dealer in my town. She was a trade in to them.

She has been a wonderful bike for leisurely rides around town. As you can see from the photos, she is in excellent shape. I would love to know how old she is. I see all kinds of references in this forum to a serial number, but I don't know where to look for one. I am thinking she is around a 1998 model, but I could be wrong.

I appreciate any input you can offer. :)
there is no real way of finding out what year it is after 1998. in 1997 richard long was killed and he was the brains of GT. after that the marking guy changed the manufacture of their bikes. after that they stopped stamping the year in the frame. the first couple of years of dyno cruisers serial number started off as yrc96 or 7 with meant year code 1996 or 1997. after that they would start off with a W and there is no way to pin point the year. now one last thing to help date a post 1998 dyno is the front of the frame. yours is for sure a mid 2000 and up dyno. before the year 2000 the front of the frame (headtube) had a D painted on it. after mid 2000 for the 2001 model year, dyno started putting aluminum head badges on their frames. so from 2000 to 2004 dyno had the head badge. in 2005 they became Kustom Kruiser. the 2005 KK said Santa Ana on the head badge. in 2006 KK started saying Taiwan. so if you got a head badge it's 2000 to 2004. if it has a D painted then it is pre 2000.

I be

I believe it's an early 2000's version. The late 90's versions weren't built by GT I think and my Deuce has the GT logo on the neck. Not sure of the exact year though because I got mine on craigslist. I tried to ask GT what year it was using the serial number but they told me they updated their system and the serial number I provided was to old to trace.

I'm replacing the bearings and getting new grease for the bottom bracket because one of the bearings was going bad and the grease in there was almost completely dried up after all these years. Usually your supposed to add new grease to a bottom bracket every one or two years. Obviously the guy I bought it from didn't.
your bike debuted in 2001.

Thought this was a cool Dyno. It's pretty rare. A limited edition. Only saw one on eBay for $900 starting bid. Its a Dyno Taboo Tiki. I posted a thread about it because my alerts inbox was refusing to redirect me to this thread. RRB has been incredibly slow & buggy for me lately. I might have to go from wireless to wired internet. Anyway what do y'all think? The front fender ordainment is a green tiki that glows when the head light is on.
Dyno%20Taboo%20Tiki_zpsntmiqec0.jpg
that bike is rare but not $900 rare. i see them in the $400 range a lot. i spoke to Von Franco a wile back about it. this was the second bike he designed . he designed a 3rd space age bike but dyno went under right after. he never got paid for his designs.

there is no real way of finding out what year it is after 1998. in 1997 richard long was killed and he was the brains of GT. after that the marking guy changed the manufacture of their bikes. after that they stopped stamping the year in the frame. the first couple of years of dyno cruisers serial number started off as yrc96 or 7 with meant year code 1996 or 1997. after that they would start off with a W and there is no way to pin point the year. now one last thing to help date a post 1998 dyno is the front of the frame. yours is for sure a mid 2000 and up dyno. before the year 2000 the front of the frame (headtube) had a D painted on it. after mid 2000 for the 2001 model year, dyno started putting aluminum head badges on their frames. so from 2000 to 2004 dyno had the head badge. in 2005 they became Kustom Kruiser. the 2005 KK said Santa Ana on the head badge. in 2006 KK started saying Taiwan. so if you got a head badge it's 2000 to 2004. if it has a D painted then it is pre 2000.

Thanks for responding to my post. In doing some additional research, I was able to find photos of past Dyno KK catalogs and calendars. From them, I was able to date my bike to 1999. Here is a link:

http://www.vitalbmx.com/photos/memb...44390/cover-dyno-kk-2001,116588/bloghogs,3682

The aluminum head badge is present on the 1999 glide model I own. Now if I can just find out how much its worth!

i did not see from any of those pics of a bike like yours. can you post the pic you dated your bike from? as for value it all depends on your area and how many there around you. were i live in so-cal there are a lot. i saw 2 purple dynos just like yours. one did not have fenders and one did. the non fender one sold for $60 and the one with the og seat and fenders sold for $120. if your seat does not say dyno on it and your grips don't have the d at the end then the value will drop. most average price i see for girl dynos is $80 but thats also because there tons of them in my area. this is the most expensive purple dyno i could find and also note the add is a month old. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/5082318190.html

I may have seen a pattern in some GT Dyno Kustom Kruiser serial numbers, although from a limited sample, from cruisers of family and friends. Perhaps what might be more interesting would be production numbers and statistics (probably proprietary, trade secret information). For example, when was the peak in production/sales, and how many cruisers did they produce that month and year, (or any/typical M/Yr), and what about those less-interesting models. So from a limited eight (8) frames, six (6) start out with "MT". I'd like to think that stands for "Made in Taiwan" but have read of other prefixes like "MB" (chopped?).
After the MT, was always a "9" or a "0" and (as other have suggested) this may mean the Year, and that four (4) were 1999's and two (2) were 2000's. After the 0 or 9, was always a "0" or a "1" and on a 3/1 ratio. This leads me to believe that this digit and the next, together form a Month code. One of the bikes had a MT903vwxyz serial and the handlebar was also stamped 99.03 under the left grip; i.e., March 1999, a match!
After those three digits were five more numbers, which all started with "0" and seemed to increase with the month code. I take that number to be a 5-digit sequence number that (with others) reflects upon the number of bicycles produced in a month/year (less than 100,000). It is hard to tell, since one does not know if a bike is the first or last produced in a month. The few numbers reflect about 700-1000 per month and rising in 1999 and a relative slowdown to 200-400 per month in 2000.
I also once saw a badge-less stamped F97- on top and 1xyz on the bottom bracket, perhaps from Fall 1997. Also, a "KK" version marked SNMT104uvwxyz (perhaps from April 2001) with an additional 6th digit for the sequence number, yet reflecting a further decline in only 150-200 produced per month.
What might not make sense is that those frames were for both Men's and Women's model's and the 1999 SN's did not distinguish between those, or Glide-Seven version, or new versus old Kickstand styles.
Some production lines may not use a first-in first-out (fifo) inventory management, or may even "skip" serial numbers (cancelled orders). I recall a couple of bikes advertised as "1980's" GT Dyno's, but expect that rather the Seller did not remember - or by mistake, simply Google'd the manufacturer of some 1980's BMX products.

So from the system described above...(at least for 1998 thru 2001)...

Siberian's MT91105294 might be a Nov 1999, at time when ~500 bikes were produced in a month (5,294 bikes divided by 10 to 11 months).

Design-it's MT90 a 1999 - (Jan-Sep).
Game-Bent's MT10 a 2001 - (Jan-Sep).
GB's Von Franco's both MT9080 1999 August.
Wildcat's Violet Pearl MT80 a 1998 - (Jan-Sep).

1997's and earlier appear to have another system; no info on 2002 and later models.

I have a purple Dyno Glide Deluxe and I love it. It is fun to ride. I'll have to check and see if I can determine the mfg date.

I have an opportunity to pick up a 97 Dyno Coaster for 400. Only seen the pavement to roll out to the truck. Is that a good find or should i haggle price??

Any info would be nice
Thanks

Here is my red GT Dyno Deuce cruiser. I am pretty sure it was built in 2006 at a factory in Taiwan. Very cool with the fat flame tires. Came across on it during a business trip and got it at a very good price. Of course I had to drive way out to the boonies to buy it but it was definitely worth it. These old Dynos are getting harder and harder to find and he prices keep going up. Have it on Houston CL but in no real hurry to sell it.
945f2c258493311453929ce00da9d5e3.jpg

f21e362cbfca85a0f8c70b820acc2ef4.jpg
d5f9afc97704a88687de37f8c4799137.jpg

Last edited:
GT went bankrupt and sold to Pacific Cycles sometime in 2001 (see pg. 1); not sure of the year that red (vs. black) Deuces were introduced. A Dyno with eponymous markings (D), versus later Kustom Kruisers (KK), would indicate an earlier model, perhaps 2000, or so.

GT went bankrupt and sold to Pacific Cycles sometime in 2001 (see pg. 1); not sure of the year that red (vs. black) Deuces were introduced. A Dyno with eponymous markings (D), versus later Kustom Kruisers (KK), would indicate an earlier model, perhaps 2000, or so.

I did not know that. The number on the bottom is MT00601188.

Can you decipher it for me and tell me when it was built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT0-06-01188 might be 2000-06 or June 2000.
Not sure about the 01188 part; it may be a sequential number reflecting how many were produced in that year, as of that bike(?); or about 200-240 per month, (while heading for bankruptcy and eventual sale).

Latest posts

Back