Dyno BMX - fun spare parts build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I already have 2 builds going, but since I had all the stuff out to strip and derust frames, I thought I should get started in this one.

Here's how it came to me. Yuck.
20161004_162722.jpg

Stripped, derusted, prepped tonight and just shot this paint.
20170103_195538.jpg

20170103_195600.jpg

Can just said Nason charcoal metallic. I don't remember where it came from or if it's base or single stage, don't even know if it's enamel or urethane.

I hit it with some enamel reducer and it didn't explode so I mixed and shot it. Waiting for it to flash off to see if it'd shiny or not.

Crap, it was base.

Had some clear at the house, didn't have my clear gun at the house. So over reduced a bit, mixed the clear with 1/3 base, and blew it on. Layed out pretty well considering it was from the wrong size tip.

The base mixed in with clear suspended the metallic and brightened it up. Have a few nubs to clean up.
20170103_203805.jpg

This is truly gonna be a spare parts build. I parted out a few dynos in the past year and whatever didnt sell is going on this thing.

Bike is 1" threaded, have some chrome forks, also have some 1 1/8" I may try to convert into this.
Probably 1 pc cranks, 44T. Have a GT crank, but I'd prefer to sell it and use a no name 175mm chrome crank in the stash.

Have some black 48 spokes, with loose ball hubs. I may shiny side the rims to give a bit of flash.

Purple tektro cantilever brakes, unless they sell, then I'll use shimano canti that didn't work out on MBBO Slow Roll.

3 dyno stems, 1 will get polished.

Chrome bars.

1.95 knobby Kenda's or 2.1 slick tread new school tires.

That's the plan, parts are sitting around. I grew up on high end BMX, these fly together for me.

I like how you guys all have these great colors in spray tins... We don't get much here,just the basics,and not great quality.
But that color is great.

I like how you guys all have these great colors in spray tins... We don't get much here,just the basics,and not great quality.
But that color is great.

Its automotive base / clear, don't remember where it came from, I may have bought a sample at one time.

If you have an automotive paint store near you, a lot of them will mix paint and load it into cans. My store charges a pint of paint and $12 per can, get 2 cans outta that.

Built the wheels up. Had a set of 20" from a kids mtn bike, it donated some parts to MBBO5. Remember - spare parts build.

Nice clean single wall rims ( look like Femco but not stamped) with Shimano hubs, picked up a new quandro rear hub and laced it in, trued and regeased both.
Hubs are close enough shape to look like a match.

16t ACS Freewheel is in the mail.

20170114_174950.jpg
20170114_175009.jpg

20170116_184318.jpg

43t sprocket- polished, random 175mm cranks, Dyno threaded forks. The headtube is long for a gyro/detailer, had to get some spacer washers, waiting on paint to dry to match black headset.

Not sure if I'll run that "ball" stem or a blocky Dyno stem.

Spent more time digging thru bearings, cleaning, painting than anything else today. :21: That's how spare parts builds go, so far the only thing I've had to buy for this bike is a rear hub and some washers. Swapping an older ACS freewheel onto this bike, will use the new one on something else.

20170129_185252.jpg

Getting there. Tires, don't remember where they came from, 2.125, they're rock hard, thick sidewalls, no signs of cracking, I'll see how they ride.
Dyno bars.
Brakes are Shimano cantilever, not sure if I'm sticking with them.

I pulled the bearings and spindles out of the pedals, stripped the anodizing. They turned dark gray, oops. They actually fit the bike color, but I was fed up at that point. May hit them with some other chemicals and see if I can at least get an aluminum color back.

The chrome laid back is new, from close out cycles, going against my spare parts theme. It fits the build so well though and I don't think I'm going to build the other frame I bought if for.

I stripped the anodizing with drano from the pedals, cooked them, turned out black. Boiled them in some vinegar water and some of the smut came off. No way am I polishing pedals, hit them with some clear and good to go. Repacked the bearings and painted the spindles.
20170130_213529.jpg

Test ride time, Shimano canti's didn't work, second bike I've tried them on. Had these new tektro in a box of old stuff and mounted them up.
Polished C-star LH brake lever mounted RH, for some reason I have bunch of leftys.
KMC chrome chain that came off another bike I parted out, mounted solid no master link.
Generic seat, nice condition, picked this up for $3.
Threw some ODI purple grip ends on to tie in the purple brakes.
I think I'll buy some decals, it will be the largest cash outlay on the whole build.

Unresolved issues: I hate these tires, they gotta go, have 2 decent set of non knobby BMX to choose from. Need to do the beer can seat post shim trick it's wiggly. Adjust everything for my wife to ride it.

20170221_215024.jpg

20170221_215037.jpg

20170221_215057.jpg

Calling this one done, talking to a guy about having him print me some, black with purple border, he did a black with red border for his bike. Don't know when he'll get them made.

Posting up to finished bikes.

We usually do cruisers my lady and I, but once last summer she hopped on a 95' Scrambler I have and rode all over (I was muscle bikin' it) and at the end of the day she said she liked it. So there ya go Granny on a BMX...
Your wife will probably enjoy the lightness of the bike compared to a cruiser. It's a good lookin' ride. ;)

Carl.

Latest posts

Back