Easy Rider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to fit the tank really well and drill the frame for it first and make fork stops so it doesnt get whacked by the triple trees. Other plans include drilling the fork for a better light mounting hole, cutting the two lower holes off the sissy bar, twin angled tailpipes up the right rear, a chrome rear fender if I can find one, A single left side kickstand so the bike has both wheels on the ground and leans left, and finish destickering the bike. I have a plan on how I want to paint the tank and I will use stickers for the stars once its painted, Then I will clearcoat it. That should keep me busy.

in terms of a stock framed OCC stingray this is turning into one of the coolest, after seeing this and the one Funkystickman build for the build off I'm thinking of building one of the ones I have.

It's a good thing you aren't looking to stretch it, it wouldn't fit on your workbench! It looks like you built the bench with the thought of building THIS bike on it, it must be fate. :wink:

P.S. let me know if you want to sell the double kickstand some day.

Enjoy the build, it's gonna be Fontastic (sorry about that, :mrgreen: )

Dr. T

kickstand and workbench

I wont need it, in fact I might be getting another stingray for the chrome fender and fork tubes without brake bosses. I like the clean front end. I dont forsee any high speeds on it so one brake on the rear should do. It might be a while before I get the kickstand mod done, watch my progress, when a pic shows without it, than it will be available. As far as my workbench being made for this bike, Not really. It was actually a train layout at one point that evolved into a 7 foot by 13 foot table just across from this one. But thats a whole other hobby

100_0023-1.jpg

cody-james said:
in terms of a stock framed OCC stingray this is turning into one of the coolest, after seeing this and the one Funkystickman build for the build off I'm thinking of building one of the ones I have.

Agreed, it's looking great! And thanks for the props, these bikes provide a whole new set of problems than people are used to.

Keep the progress coming! I'm loving it.

I like where your going with this bike, looks much cooler than stock. Nice train collection too. What make is that black streamlined engine on the 3rd shelf from the bottom and on the right? We used to set up that one around the Christmas tree when I was a kid.

"I like where your going with this bike, looks much cooler than stock. Nice train collection too. What make is that black streamlined engine on the 3rd shelf from the bottom and on the right? We used to set up that one around the Christmas tree when I was a kid."

Its a repainted Marx engine. The trains are a whole other hobby and dont know if this is the appropriate place for these but what the heck, heres a few pics of whats across from the work bench. Ive been working on destickering the bike. Its all Ive had time for, been working 12 hours a day everyday for over a week.

100_0017.jpg

100_0018.jpg

100_0019.jpg

100_0020.jpg

tank mounted

Tonight I drilled the frame for the tank. Im only using the rear bolt to attach it with and its fine. I use some strips of old inner tube taped inside the tank to center the front and prevent vibration. For fork stops, Im going to drill the front of the tank and use the little bottoms found on some tables. They will be painted with the tank and barely noticeable. When I get the kickstand to work the way I want, it wont turn anywhere near the tank. The Stingray also uses a much wider crank than the WCC bikes that the tank came from so knee clearance is plentiful as if the tank isnt even there. I also drilled a hole in the lower triple tree to mount the headlight to it directly instead of on the reflector bracket. I then took it for a 5 mile ride around the country club at the corner, yes, with no brakes. Its very comfortable and coming out better than expected.

No, Im staying with a black destickered frame. All the chrome ones I have seen had rust spots somewhere on them. Painting the tank is going to be difficult enough. We live in a town house with a finished basement and no garage. Sanding and painting will have to be done in a small closet on my deck. I have no talent or resources to do any kind of welding or metal modifications. I have to stick with whats commercially available and finish bikes how I see their destiny should be.

Wild Goose Chase

Just came from looking at 2 other OCC choppers with no front brakes and chrome rear fenders. Both people told me there was no rust. Both bikes had chrome pitting on the forks and one on the fender. Maybe I just got lucky with this one. If I find a clean one great, if not, I will call it good with a front brake and black rear fender. I also stopped on the way home and ordered an axle bolt mount side kickstand. It should work with little or no modification. I also cut the bottoms off the sissy bar and filed the edges smooth. Its a straight cut. I wanted to file it round but with the way the ends are piched, I didnt think it would look very good.

its looking pretty good i like working with them occ choppers and west coast choppers you can do alot with them i just finished a red white and blue stretched occ chopper i did the stars the same way lol .i have a few pics of a couple i did over in my intro i put motors on a couple of them ... when your done with your bike you should send a pic of it over to.. buildabikeandmore.com..in the chopper section i want to see it finished

Parts Bike

I ended up getting a green one late last night. The bike itself is pretty trashed. It is a kids bike and was ridden hard. Amazingly though, the forks where not rusted. The rear fender has some stains in the chrome that I cant get out. I dont think Im going to use it. I have a little too much time and money into this already and am not going to settle for a less than perfect part at this point. The fork tubes where cleaned, stripped polished and installed. My wife is out of town right now with the camera so I'll get some updated pics when she returns.

Just picked up my side axle mounted kickstand, rear brake cable and the tailpipes came in the mail. Once all that is installed and it stops snowing, I will get some new pics posted. The bike will basically be done except for painting the tank. I haven't spray painted anything in years so Im going to practice on some other pieces before masking and painting the tank. With the bike and tank all destickered, it actually looks really good as is. The Red, White, and Blue are really going to stand out. I decided to keep the center stand on it as well for ease of working on the bike.

Tailpipes

I had some time to play with the bike this morning. The tailpipes wont work like I thought so I put 1 one each side of the frame mounted upside down using the existing holes on the lower rear triangle. The are tilted up a little and cover the top holes. Not the look I wanted but still pretty cool. Now, not to break anyones heart but Im not going to paint my tank. The bike has really grown on me as it is and I admit, my painting skills are terrible. I tried painting a fork. It came out like crap and made a huge mess. If someone wants to paint a WCC tank and sell it to me, that would be great. Otherwise, it is staying black and all destickered. Another problem Im having with it is storage. I told myself I didnt want any bikes in the trainroom but thats the only place this one fits leaned against the train table. All my other bikes hang in the laundry room out of the way.

I played with it a little today. Still have to install the new brake cable, shorten the kickstand a little and get some better hardware back there. I have a new idea about painting so it may still happen. I dig the brakeless front end, a lot cleaner looking.

100_0001-Copy.jpg

100_0002-Copy.jpg

100_0003-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back