Edgy Elgin Rat

Nov 22, 2011
KS
Hadn't planned doing any more of these builds, but I've had this one in the works since mid October, so I might as well post it here. The documentation so far is found in the following link.

Fresh Find Thread:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/prewar-westfield-or-murray-bike.100797/
More to follow...
This was the 20$ starting point.

No shock and awe with this build, just a clean simple rider with a blend of old and new parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
KS
I prepped and painted the truss rods hammered copper and cleaned the headset bearing cups, bearings, washers and steering tube cap nut. The cap nut is pretty roached, ought to replace it.
My next step is to look over the frame for any paint defects. If it appears acceptable I'll do some final mock-up assembly. There isn't really much left to do on this Elgin.
Assemble fork and frame, bottom bracket, crank, headset, stem, bars headbadge and Elgin wing, add the wheels and it rolls. I still need to decide on a saddle. The biggest detail to be worked out is wiring for and mounting the headlamp along with the battery pack. Pedal and grip options are being reviewed.
A kickstand would also be nice. i'd actually like to find one of the old Murray frame types. The frame has a hole for one behind the seat tube.

Nov 22, 2011
KS
In the 60's on Jan 2, down in the 20's today. I moved inside to fit headset and fork. The truss rods are apparently from a girls bike as they are too long. So I'm going to have to reshape them or shorten them. I found an overpriced repop Gyes seat.

Nov 22, 2011
KS
I braved the cold and reformed the truss rods to fit the Elgin bike geometry. I just did a hand formed bend at the curve to basically shorten the mounting length. Also enlarged the mounting slot to fit 3/8" Dia Axle. I'll need to touch up or repaint the rods as the paint cracked and chipped at the bend area. But they fit which is good. I also added the stem, bars and light.

Beagle photo bomb

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
KS
The light bracket is pretty flexible and can be mounted many different ways. You just have to avoid the Elgin Wing, the truss rods and the headbadge which I have yet to install. Right now it is avoiding everything and is centered on the centerline of bike. I still need to work out the wiring path and a mounting system for the 12V cookie press battery pack.

Battery pack...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2012
Maplewood, MN
Wow, moving right along on this ! Battery pack is cool. I just used that same Sunlite 3 piece BB conversion kit on Mesa Buggie WuGgie. First time for me, really like the 'user friendly' nature of it and the results.

Always clean, well done, and 'finished' look to these Mazda Flyer builds!

Nov 22, 2011
KS
Measure twice cut once comes to mind. My initial plan was to hang the battery pack from top tube in the tank void space. When I actually held the pack in place it appears to be "tight". I'm now thinking I may need to mount it vertical on the seat tube. I rounded up some mounting parts for either position. A sketch below approximates the mounting idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk