ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, saw this new creation of yours TRM and thought of Cadzilla straight away!:praise::rockout:
cadzilla.png

Because this bike is my version of a deluxe model, I've planned to add some trim pieces to accentuate the art deco feel I'm going for. Last weekend I went to a car show/ swap meet looking for the right doodads to use. Normally I'm not a fan of using car parts on a bike because the scale is usually off. However, there are smaller scale parts out there if you look for them.

I found a 62 Falcon fender ornament that has the style that I was looking for. I also found a broken piece of some type of garnish molding that would work perfectly for what I had in mind for the tank. This is why I got back to extending the tank this week, so I could make this trim fit!

With a little bit of modifications, I couldn't be much happier with the results!
View attachment 27173
Very cool looks like you found some really nice parts at the car show. They fit the tank percent [emoji1303] got to love it when a plan comes together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, saw this new creation of yours TRM and thought of Cadzilla straight away!:praise::rockout:View attachment 27442
If the Decoluxe made you think of Cadzilla, I know I'm on the right track!:)

Last September I bought this saddle from @KEMPRACING. The seat pan is not original to the frame and was too short.
index.php

I had an idea for extending the front with a cowboy boot toe cap but couldn't find anything that looked like it would work. Then I spotted this door handle that looked promising.
Here's where it's going.
101_1189.jpg

Ok now the cat is out of the bag . Looks pretty cool too. Can't wait to see how you finish it off . [emoji1303]

The first order of business was to get the handle cut down to fit the nose of the seat pan. This took a lot of grinding and checking to get it right. I used another pan as a donor because I'll need to extend the overall length also. I wasn't sure yet how I would go about fitting the two together so after I got the handle fitting, I cut off more than what I'll need to be safe.

To attach the handle I drilled and tapped two 8-32 holes with corresponding holes in the pan.
Saddle trim 1.jpg

It turned out that I only used the very end of the donor pan so that I didn't cut the original past the frame stud.
Saddle trim 2.jpg

So my 'seat rail' guess way back when wasn't too far off....
This gives the phrase 'saddle horn' a whole new meaning.

So my 'seat rail' guess way back when wasn't too far off....
That's why I asked what you meant by seat rail, you were close!

I got the two pieces welded together and the edge along each side got some new metal grafted in also but I forgot to take a photo before moving on. After that everything got ground smooth and a skim coat of Bondo in preparation for the foam pad.
Saddle trim 3.jpg

Yah for door handles!

Latest posts

Back