ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since there's 2 I'm guessing those slots are for mounting to the skirts?...:39:
Yes! The slots will line up with corresponding slots in the skirt guards that will lock the pieces together in the same way that box dividers work.
12celldividersetBP1.jpg

Yes! The slots will line up with corresponding slots in the skirt guards that will lock the pieces together in the same way that box dividers work.
12celldividersetBP1.jpg
That's it Ren Man, now your'e thinking "inside the box"! :21:

Here's how it works.
The lights that I found (on ePay) have a stud mount. I made a piece out of a short section of tubing and a 10mm nut and had it welded to the guards. The housings that I cut from the EMT slide over the stud mounts to conceal the mount and the wiring. As I said in the last post, the slots in both parts keep the housings lined up.
Decoluxe tail lights 2.jpg

When the light is screwed in tight, it holds the housing in place. The back side is cut shorter and at the same angle of the seat stays so that it will butt into the frame.
Decoluxe tail lights 3.jpg

The housings will be painted the same as the guards. Also, the bottom edge of the left guard will be trimmed to match the right.
Decoluxe tail lights 4.jpg

Last edited:
Here's how it works.
The lights that I found (on ePay) have a stud mount. I made a piece out of a short section of tubing and a 10mm nut and had it welded to the guards. The housings that I cut from the EMT slide over the stud mounts to conceal the mount and the wiring. As I said in the last post, the slots in both parts keep the housings lined up.
View attachment 28340
When the light is screwed in tight, it holds the housing in place. The back side is cut shorter and at the same angle of the seat stays so that it will butt into the frame.
View attachment 28341
The housings will be painted the same as the guards. Also, the bottom edge of the left guard will be trimmed to match the right.
View attachment 28343

That's just amazingly simple and elaborate at the same time! I like it! A lot! :41: :113: :41:

:13::43:

Thanks everyone!

This is a fairly minor update, but I thought I'd share the method that I used to trim the rear fender.

To make the profile match the original, I used the front fender as a pattern. This could probably be done with paper or cardboard, but because of the compound curving surface it would be difficult to do.
Instead, I covered the end with masking tape roughly 4-5 inches up the fender. Then with an Exacto knife, I trimmed the excess tape from around the edge. After that, it was just a matter of pealing it off and re-applying it to the rear fender using the sides to insure that it stayed square. Then I simply used it as a guide to cut and file the edge. Easy but effective.
Decoluxe fender cut.jpg

Love how you did these lights , very clever , and it really flows with the guards , really looks like it was ment to be there:41:
you just don't stop impressing me with your artistic vision and craftmanship:praise:

Thanks 1HP.

Got the last bit of welding done over the weekend.
The little pie cut that transitions the curved into the 90 degree profile is in place. This was a tiny little piece to make! It's welded from the back side and I'll dress it up with body filler soon. There were a few extra holes in the fenders and chain guard that got Tig welded with silicon bronze also.

While I had access to a bead blaster, I went ahead and got most of the tin cleaned and ready for primer.
Blasted.jpg

Good to see you're getting ready for paint. Did you finish the tank? You haven't shown us the headlights yet...:39:...Love how you do the headlights on these tanks.:)
I haven't installed the headlights yet, but they will be the standard LED lights that I've used in the past.
I'm really starting to feel the clock taunting me now. As for the paint, the black etching primer that I sprayed on the tin is starting to look pretty good to me at this point! :chicken:

There's a lot left on my list and I still haven't played my ace yet.

The lights turned out beautifully!

vision, quality progress teases adds to the intrigue--following and looking forward to to ace!
Ok, well here's a tease for you then.:grin:
This is something that I've had on the drawing board from the very beginning. I've also been working on it off and on from the beginning when I could fit it in. I have one final step left to do and will finish when I take everything apart the last time for paint.:bandit:
Decoluxe FB.jpg

Latest posts

Back