ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These tubes started life as lamp pipes. First, I packed them with sand and bent them before cutting the bend off. This will leave a nice finished end the same as the tail light housings.
Decoluxe FB2.jpg

Brilliant thinking on those pipes. Are they going to extend over your skirt guard vent ribs out to the rear of your fender? Keep the cool ideas coming man!

Brilliant thinking on those pipes. Are they going to extend over your skirt guard vent ribs out to the rear of your fender? Keep the cool ideas coming man!
TRM, you put the 'luxe' in deco....
I'm with KF, tubes extending back over the top of the vents....maybe even on the chain guard....?

+1 looks like some type of deco-looking trim deals.

The extra holes that I had welded up now require some filler to remove the evidence. The only thing worse than body work is... well... umm...

I'm not sure right now, I'll have to think about that later after I'm done.:13:
Body work.jpg

Ok, with time running out quickly, I'm trying to get a lot of loose ends taken care of. I've already resigned myself to the fact that some things won't get done in time.:(

My main focus for this weekend is paint. I've been getting everything prepped as much as possible and am making progress. The tank however has been in a holding pattern until a few things get done. I decided to work on that this afternoon so that I can start priming it along with the other parts.

Several weeks back, I went to a car show/swap meet and searched for trim pieces. One of the things specifically was trim for the tank. I already had a plan for making them but luck was on my side and I found some trim (I was told for a '40 Ford dash) that worked perfectly.

I had to flatten them some, file down the heads on some #8 screws (the original clips where missing), and drill holes in the tanks. You will also notice that I went a little overboard with some coarse sand paper while sanding bondo on the mold seams and created more work for myself fixing the scratches.:mad:

Decoluxe Tank Trim.jpg

Last edited:
Good fit !!!
It is that time in the build off that you have to keep going back and forth with what you would like to do and what you have time to do.
Just keep plugging away!

Ok, with time running out quickly, I'm trying to get a lot of loose ends taken care of. I've already resigned myself to the fact that some things won't get done in time.:(

My main focus for this weekend is paint. I've been getting everything prepped as much as possible and am making progress. The tank however has been in a holding pattern until a few things get done. I decided to work on that this afternoon so that I can start priming it along with the other parts.

Several weeks back, I went to a car show/swap meet and searched for trim pieces. One of the things specifically was trim for the tank. I already had a plan for making them but luck was on my side and I found some trim (I was told for a '40 Ford dash) that worked perfectly.

I had to flatten them some, file down the heads on some #8 screws (the original clips where missing), and drill holes in the tanks. You will also noticed that I went a little overboard with some coarse sand paper while sanding bondo on the mold seams and created more work for myself fixing the scratches.:mad:

View attachment 29072

cool trim and enjoying your build! I am in the same boat as you some things just wont get done.

Not much time for updates. Yesterday was spent in Birmingham most of the day so I didn't get much done. However, while I was there, I picked up my tires from a bike shop. I've had these ordered for a couple of weeks and finally had a chance to bring them home.

Now, I'm trying to decide what to do about that reflective strip and logos.:crazy2:
fat franks.jpg

Nice moldings ! :thumbsup:

maybe just satin black paint on the side walls could do the trick ? i heard plastidip works well on tires ..

(edit) spining the tires inflated on a old rim and lightly spray them with paint should make a nice and even shade/transition from paint to rubber

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back