ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRM, you had me at 'grit and grime' and captivated me with 'nostalgic' ....:inlove:
Hahahaha! Looking good so far, like your execution of your master plan...

another winner in the making ...awesome build as always! your builds are very unique!
Digging the street sweeper deepwell Monark fenders idea. Execellent execution as expected.
TRM, you had me at 'grit and grime' and captivated me with 'nostalgic' ....:inlove:
Hahahaha! Looking good so far, like your execution of your master plan...
Love the build plan, nice frame to start with :cool2:
Thanks ya'll!
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/fs-1939-elgin-girls-sport-collegiate-bicycle.77709/
At the link is a 1939 Elgin Girls Sport. I can remember the serial number. No tank on this version--your downtime support bar is a different angle (may have been to close the gap for the tank?
Yes, that support bar is different and also there is a head badge. My frame has no signs of ever having a head badge. :39:

I only had a little time today but just enough to do a quick mock up with the fenders. The front fender came from @The_Black_Monark just a couple of weeks ago and looks like it will work using the original mounting hole for the fork. I did have to turn it backwards however which is interesting because I turned the fear fender around also before I extended it. I'm not sure if I'm coming or going!:bigsmile: The ground clearance at the rear is pretty close to the same as the front which is what I was shooting for. I still have to go back and cut the correct contour on the rear to match the front.

Decoluxe fenders.jpg

Looks great. Love the concept and can't wait to see how you bring it to life.

The thin part on the back fender catches the eye a little bit but I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't know about it.

Looks great. Love the concept and can't wait to see how you bring it to life.

The thin part on the back fender catches the eye a little bit but I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't know about it.
Thanks. Yeah, it doesn't look right like it is, but I have a plan for fixing that later on.

Like that fork idea ! Did you read my mind ? Remember I while back I was asking you for a fork body but didn't need any truss rods [emoji106] I think that's the only way to make it work with that TRM tank . Going to look great . I was going to loose the springs and sold bolt it witch would pull it forward .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You had me skeered there for a moment. Thought maybe you was building one of them there jane deere tractors thingys...

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Ironically, I'm still waiting for a TRM tank for this bike. :blush:

So while I wait I've moved up some of the things that I thought would come a little later into the build. Now that the rear fender is pretty much in place, I can gauge the length and placement of the drop stand. I will be making my own stand starting with a Colorflow fender brace. I want the stand to visually double as a fender brace when it is in the riding position.

This poses a challenge concerning how to attach it without using a traditional fender clip that mounts below the fender. I decided on an idea that needed to be tested so I crudely mocked up a scrap piece of the rear fender on the OSB jig that I used earlier.

The idea is to make the clip function on the sides of the fender. I picked up a set of BBQ tongs at a thrift store and shaped part of it to fit inside of the fender.
Drop stand test2.jpg

With the fender section screwed down to the edge of the board and the fender brace placed over that, I was able to swing the brace up and down to test how the stainless strap would flex as it passed over the tabs.

Drop stand test1.jpg

The conclusion after laboratory testing is that it will work (so far). I'm encouraged enough to proceed ahead. My next concern is how well it will hold after I start adding braces for the stand itself which will add weight. I hope to play with it more this weekend.

Last edited:
Looking good I like the sound of your plans . Great explanation ! Sometimes get broad with some peoples long drawn out details , but you always seem to keep me hooked keep it coming ! [emoji106][emoji106]

I could use that exterior JCH stay on another project bike I have.

Latest posts

Back