ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm always very picky about the lines on any bike that I build. The 'down' position is what it is, but the 'up' position will continue the line of the chain stays.
Drop stand JCH brace2.jpg

Last edited:
Well you know there's going to be a tank, he said he was waiting for another delivery. But what I want to see the part on the stand that touches the ground. It obviously can't stay rounded, there must be a plan for something with feet....

Carl.

The 'up' line is perfect, the 'down' line is pretty much parallel to the head tube and the straight section of the seat tube. I'd say you nailed it!

One question....will the fender brace have enough lateral rigidity to hold the completed bike up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That stand is a super cool feature. So will you take pics with it up or down?

This bike would be sweet with one of them TRM tanks..:p
Both!
Do you know where I can get one of those tanks?:rolleyes:
Well you know there's going to be a tank, he said he was waiting for another delivery. But what I want to see the part on the stand that touches the ground. It obviously can't stay rounded, there must be a plan for something with feet....

Carl.
There's always a plan.:D
The 'up' line is perfect, the 'down' line is pretty much parallel to the head tube and the straight section of the seat tube. I'd say you nailed it!

One question....will the fender brace have enough lateral rigidity to hold the completed bike up?
I didn't even notice the parallel lines in the down position!:cool:
The fender brace is for looks, the clips and will also add some triangulated bracing. The stand itself will be rigid.

What guard are you gonna use?
That may impact the lines you want for your brace.

What guard are you gonna use?
That may impact the lines you want for your brace.
Well since you asked, I have been going back and forth between two.

The first one is a Western Flyer guard that I had decided on after going through a box of various guards that I've collected. The second one came up about a week or so before the build off started and really got me excited because of the unique factor. Unique because it's not a chain guard but instead it's a cast aluminum table saw blade guard that covers both sides. I had the idea for a saw blade guard one morning while walking through a flea market and low and behold found one about 15 minutes later! I considered this providence and was convinced that I had my guard!

However, after looking at it longer I have decided that it would be better suited for a fenderless bike and I'm going with the Western Flyer. I'll find a good fit for it on another bike someday.

Here's both of them together to give you an idea of the size.
Chain guards.jpg

Great thinking out of the box with that Shopmaster saw guard. I agree that it would stand out more with a fenderless build.
The WF guard should look great on your build.

Some of you may remember that I made tail pipes for the Raceliner in BO9 from a couple of chrome table legs. Being the pack rat that I am, I saved the scraps from that project and tossed them in my metal bin. It turns out that the chrome 5/16" rod that I saved is just what I needed for the drop stand on the Decoluxe. :)

After wrestling the two pieces of rod through multiple combinations of rollers on my bender, I finally came up with the profile for the soon to be chrome drop stand.

More to come...
Drop stand bending.jpg

Some of you may remember that I made tail pipes for the Raceliner in BO9 from a couple of chrome table legs. Being the pack rat that I am, I saved the scraps from that project and tossed them in my metal bin. It turns out that the chrome 5/16" rod that I saved is just what I needed for the drop stand on the Decoluxe. :)

After wrestling the two pieces of rod through multiple combinations of rollers on my bender, I finally came up with the profile for the soon to be chrome drop stand.

More to come...
View attachment 23887
Nice bending! , nice shape!

...wait....did you just say 'the white polymetal is a stand in'....:rofl:
Hahaha, no pun intended.:21:
Ok, so here's the real bracket almost finished. I had two pieces of 1/8" plate tack welded together before I cut the shape on a band saw so that the pair would be identical. Then I cleaned up the edges with a belt sander and small drum sander for the inside radius. I'll cut the welded end off last.
Decoluxe stand bracket.jpg

However, after looking at it longer I have decided that it would be better suited for a fenderless bike and I'm going with the Western Flyer. I'll find a good fit for it on another bike someday.

Here's both of them together to give you an idea of the size.
View attachment 23775

Hmmmm. I really enjoy watching your bike builds RM. Regarding this chainguard question: Perhaps you could use both? Use the sawblade cover as the front part over the chain ring, with an attached section of the other guard for the trailing portion? Hmmmm...

Hmmmm. I really enjoy watching your bike builds RM. Regarding this chainguard question: Perhaps you could use both? Use the sawblade cover as the front part over the chain ring, with an attached section of the other guard for the trailing portion? Hmmmm...
Thanks Silverking. I had played around with the idea of combining the Shop Master guard with another guard and even though a couple of configurations looked pretty good to me, it just seemed a little too forced. I reluctantly had to listen to my intuition...

The WF guard was my original choice and I felt like I was trying to make my second choice work only because I thought it was so cool and I like using unexpected non bicycle parts. I'm sure I'll find the right fit for it down the road somewhere.

Latest posts

Back