ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The drop stand is in one piece now and the brackets are ready to be welded in place tomorrow.

Drop stand and brackets.jpg

Last edited:
The brackets are at one with the stand. :happy:

It's nice to know a welder! I keep wanting to learn but I'm always reluctant to try on something like this. I have got pretty good at prepping for welding though!:bigsmile:
Drop stand weld brackets.jpg

The brackets are at one with the stand. :happy:

It's nice to know a welder! I keep wanting to learn but I'm always reluctant to try on something like this. I have got pretty good at prepping for welding though!:bigsmile:
View attachment 24093
Nice !
you need to learn ! endless posibility after that , wonderful tool for an artist/D.I.Y'er /builder

Beautiful work and ingenuity as usual!

Nice action shot! Is there still going to be a fender brace in there to hold it up? Look forward to seeing it on the bike.
Yes, the fender brace will connect everything together and provide triangulated bracing for the stand.
Nice !
you need to learn ! endless posibility after that , wonderful tool for an artist/D.I.Y'er /builder
A TIG welder too. I'm jealous... If I had a TIG welder with a pedal life would be so much easier.
Welding is an art I wish I had learned.
Charlie (the guy welding) is my first cousin. He has both TIG and MIG welders and has offered many times to let me use them as much as I want to learn with. I have done some small things here and there, but when it comes time for something like this, I always take the easy way out because I know he will do it right and will look good. ...So many interests, not enough time. Maybe some day.
Nice to have good friends willing to help . Very Art Deco stand . Love it [emoji106]
Art deco is exactly what I'm going for, thanks!
Beautiful work and ingenuity as usual!
Thanks bud!

TIG welding is a process which many people struggle with. You have to have good hand and eye coordination and a "feel" for it. If you do good oxy welds you can TIG. But TIGs precision is something that well worth the learning curve.

I hope to get some photos of my vintage heliarc system. Loving this build.

Sorry for the welding hijack. I'm a welder so yeah.:grin:

If any of guys want information on how these 1930's bikes were oxy welded I got the a welding book from 1939 that explains how to do this!:rockout:

Another cool thing with the TIG weld on the drop stand is that he used stainless steel rod. When I finish filing and polishing it will be hard to tell that the chrome was ever welded.

I knocked down the weld with a file so far but haven't smoothed it out yet. Here's a picture of it roughed in that I posted earlier in the Macro Monday thread.
101_1035.jpg

Was hoping you'd post that pic here. Wondered how you would tie the brace and the stand together. That looks amazing. Love the shiny next to the patina. Lovely proportions and textures as usual.

Is that silver round piece on the brace just to fill the hole or is that some kind of latch to hold it up? Was thinking a spring loaded pin of some sort would work well to hold up the stand if it's too heavy for the spring tabs. Looks fairly light though.

Stainless is fun to weld. It's really strong too. Welds beautifully I am guessing a 308 tig rod?

If you learn tig you could always do tig brazing. Now that is some cool stuff.:rockout:
The only thing cooler then tig brazing has to be old school aluminum oxy welding. (addressed in my book as AIRPLANE WELDING! :bigsmile:) Most people have no idea HOW They did it.. but I do. You use flux exactly like brazing and you look for the oxide layer that naturally forms on aluminum to well act like its burning away. You see that you start dipping the rod like no tomorrow!;)
I was able to use the same trick with tig welding aluminum! And it worked! :eek:

So you guys with the old aluminum bike frames. Take a look at the rear stays for a slightly duller aluminum that doesn't look machined. Those suckers were oxy welded!:banana:

That drop stand is going to be beautiful , No correct that. It IS beautiful.:thumbsup:

PS not sure if you've ever ground stainless before but make sure it doesn't overheat otherwise you'll get black oxidation that looks like burnt sugar. I see the weld is getting close to that point, also brush it with a brass brush so it doesn't get contaminated and rust...

Or don't it's up to you. I'm not the welding police.:ninja:

Last edited:
Is that silver round piece on the brace just to fill the hole or is that some kind of latch to hold it up?
That is a bolt that holds the Higgins brace to the chrome stand. I'm using the same kind on the sides to make it look like rivets.

It's about 90% complete. I still need to trim the front end of the Higgins brace to fit the stand and also get some shoulder bolts or make bushings to bolt it to the frame properly. The clip still has to be mounted also, but I put it together to test it on the bike and it works great so far!
Decoluxe drop stand 3.jpg

Decoluxe drop stand 2.jpg

I also tried the chainring that I'm planning to use. It just arrived this past week from @Road Master. I had been looking for this style for a while and he came through for me!

Very small progress on the drop stand. But, progress is progress.
I folded the Higgins brace around the contour of the stand brackets. Just have to get some bushings next to finish it up.
101_1042.jpg
101_1043.jpg

And this is how I attached the two pieces at the bottom:
101_1044.jpg

This is a little early yet to be thinking about grips, but I just got these in yesterday and wanted to share.

I found them on ebay under the seller name 'foxgrips1'. HERE'S A LINK to his listings. He offers a lot of cool vintage style grips and more.

I thought either one of these styles would work well on the Elgin Decoluxe. What do you think?
Decoluxe Grips 1.jpg
Decoluxe Grips 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back