ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice grips man I saw those also . I almost went with the same ones but ended up changing my mind went with another traditional style . You will have to stay tuned to see for your self ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pointed grips look similar to those in the old Sears catalogs. I have a pointed pair for my Elgin build also.

What's the rubber like on those grips?
Shiney makes me think they'd be kinda plastic like.
I do love the rubber on Thompsons... anything like those?
Fluted would be the easy choice,
but the knobbed grips would look more unusual/rare.

Carl.

What's the rubber like on those grips?
Shiney makes me think they'd be kinda plastic like.
I do love the rubber on Thompsons... anything like those?
Fluted would be the easy choice,
but the knobbed grips would look more unusual/rare.

Carl.
It is a hard rubber like you would find on older grips, but not at all like plastic. They are not cushy like some grips on new bikes.

BTW, you can contact the guy directly at [email protected] if you want to side step eBay.;)

Either would work just as well.
I would give a slight edge to the second pair because they have a larger and smoother streamlined front bump.

Bottom grips look more Art Deco to me.

There's two things I'm a fan of steampunk and Art Deco. So if you're going for Classic the top set. If you want that Art Deco look then go for the bottom pair Ol' sport!
Well I'm most certainly going for the Art Deco look! I'm also a steampunk fan, even though I've yet to experiment with it. The Decoluxe will be leaning more toward dieselpunk but without any military references. I'll just call it 'civilian dieselpunk'.:happy:

While we're on the subject of art deco, this is a good time to show the stem that I recently got from @KEMPRACING . This is actually the second stem like this that Jim has provided for one of my build off bikes!

For continuity's sake, here's the stem along with the Elgin grips...
101_1053.jpg

Seeing the stem I'd still go with the second set. There's a lot of Art Deco designs that Deal with "contrast" of the shapes rather then just straight up "flow"

P.E
NbWqxiKbjmTFTwWhamPAlA.jpg

See how there's a break up to the flow? But yet the eyes still trace the lines. That's what I mean. Also notice how there's groups of threes? You look at the stem three lines on it. Three dots on the handle bars. They're different but they would tie in nicely.

:wondering: Sorry for the long post I am an artistic person who is into the past. i live and breath this stuff.o_O

Seeing the stem I'd still go with the second set. There's a lot of Art Deco designs that Deal with "contrast" of the shapes rather then just straight up "flow"

P.E
NbWqxiKbjmTFTwWhamPAlA.jpg

See how there's a break up to the flow? But yet the eyes still trace the lines. That's what I mean. Also notice how there's groups of threes? You look at the stem three lines on it. Three dots on the handle bars. They're different but they would tie in nicely.

:wondering: Sorry for the long post I am an artistic person who is into the past. i live and breath this stuff.o_O

Cool radio. We should've just stopped progress at this point in time and been happy.

furyus

While we're on the subject of art deco, this is a good time to show the stem that I recently got from @KEMPRACING . This is actually the second stem like this that Jim has provided for one of my build off bikes!

I love getting beat by my own parts in the build offs :21:
At least you played a part in it . That the Beauty in the site it all comes full circle . Remember 2 place is the first looser ....[emoji51]

It's very interesting that you bring up the groups of threes. That is something that I've been mindful of with this theme. More on that subject as it unfolds!
You call it "very small progress" and I call it "very creative and nicely done." Awesome stand.

furyus
Thanks furyus. That was a small detail on the stand that will never be noticed, but it's the type of thing that helps with making the end result look original and not custom which is very high on my priority list.
I love getting beat by my own parts in the build offs :21:
You keep telling me that, but it ain't over till it's over! Thanks again, I really didn't want to take the stem off of the Bhuzzard anyway.

Latest posts

Back