BO15 Emsbroek & Poesse Ratracer (pg6 ride video!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's a shot for the macro monday! I love the cloth under the coaster brake arm bracket. View attachment 121141
How about another butterfly nut on the coaster arm bracket to go with the axle nuts?

Thanks Toro1978 for that idea! I turned my shed upside down to find a M6 butterfly nut and found one. I just had to saw it to shorten it.
More pictures soon.

Little update

I searched for junk piles and some second-hand websites and found something perfect for this build! It is probably from 1910 til 1945 and used in Dutch service. Can anyone guess what it is? I am picking it up soon.

Just wanted to share this:
And some builds here inspired me, so in my enthousiasm I had to write down ideas for the next build-off. The story:
A while ago some guy wanted a bike for his bikeshop to haul other abandoned bicycles from trainstations, malls etcetera. So being a bicycle nut I gave him some ideas. After seeing mr Kingfish254 his "Monark springer mockup" this idea came to my mind:
A bicycle tow truck: I can't draw :crazy:
wtZlCS2.jpg

Pretty cool right?

Great work on the brake arm drillium speed holes and the piece of burlap frame protector is a cool touch.

The darker spring saddle is so much cooler than the honey Brooks saddle. I would consider changing or darkening the grips before changing that killer saddle. It just has soooooo much character to it.

PULL MY FINGER!!!
As for the mystery item, is it Opa's old klompen?
Haha nice one MattiThundrrr! But it isnt that. I'll give you a hint, since it did not came by mail today: FN 10-22.

And thank you Couch Tater!

And thanks Kingfish254! I think I am keeping the old saddle.

I straightened the crankarm, took a couple of tries, because the 0.5t press I borrowed was a bit too small (It looked bigger on the pictures):

b9oRgZQ.jpg

This did not workout, because the material always bounces a bit back. That means you have got to push it a bit further than most "normal" people find comfortable :bigsmile:
EaVDoSE.jpg

This works, I used a seatpost for more leverage!
ZzeW5Hs.jpg

utasf1D.jpg

Getting there!

CY6VWQa.jpg

I did this for the last bits on the end of the crankarm! I clamped it in the old shaft.

XcvnUrL.jpg

Fqc2U5S.jpg

Brushed ma teeth :crazy:

NnZmrfe.jpg

The old cotterpins are worn and damaged, I had to file them to fit.

3xm9n9E.jpg

Throwed it on the bike!

I made a videolog aswel, its pretty crappy. Oddjob inspired me (not the crappyness :rofl: ). I will post it here this evening.

Awesome videolog BRE! You have a very peaceful setting to work in, it reminded me of my BACK40. The music in the background made me feel right at home. Thanks for sharing!

I really like your trailer. I say use the original mounting holes and drill the fork legs and bolt it on. It will give clearance to your tire and keep it's nice original shape.

The lumber for hauling idea is a great one as well. Here is a link to my first ever RRB build, Beer Boy Delivery, and the 'aging process' I did to my front wood rack to hold my beer cooler.

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...read-while-ive-been-waiting-this.91909/page-7
There are a couple videos on this page, one of the rack and one of working on the wheels. On the rack, after each layer of paint, I started sanding before the paint was fully dry, just tacky. That kind of streaked the paint and caused it to look like it 'lifted up' instead of just being sanded smooth.

Your bike is looking great! That chain ring is so ornate and cool, I'd just leave that area alone. A chain ring guard would cover to much of it I think. Love all your nice touches with the wing nuts and brass tension nuts , etc. The whole bike works well together, and that's hard to achieve. Your frame has a nice original look, with some shine left to it. For your stem, and handle bars, consider using a shellac to finish them instead of an oil. It will add an extra bit of shine to them, but still make it look vintage. There are a couple of guys that have used it on their builds here, and the bikes look amazing. I use Zinssers Amber Shellac for finishing repairs on the violins, violas , and cellos that I repair in my instrument repair business.
zinsser-polyurethane-wood-finish-00704h-64_1000.jpg

I like your tail light idea, that light is so cool! Even if it isn't from the same period or era, the two lights would offer some balance between front and rear too. Have you tried mocking it up in the verticle position? To mimic the front head light? It might even bolt onto that seat stay brace right under the saddle.

Those wood grips are a great touch! You have a look going here that just works so well.
One of the keys I have found in these builds is 'knowing when to quit'. Your eye will tell you when you're near that point.

RaT oN ~!

Awesome videolog BRE! You have a very peaceful setting to work in, it reminded me of my BACK40. The music in the background made me feel right at home. Thanks for sharing!

I really like your trailer. I say use the original mounting holes and drill the fork legs and bolt it on. It will give clearance to your tire and keep it's nice original shape.

The lumber for hauling idea is a great one as well. Here is a link to my first ever RRB build, Beer Boy Delivery, and the 'aging process' I did to my front wood rack to hold my beer cooler.

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...read-while-ive-been-waiting-this.91909/page-7
There are a couple videos on this page, one of the rack and one of working on the wheels. On the rack, after each layer of paint, I started sanding before the paint was fully dry, just tacky. That kind of streaked the paint and caused it to look like it 'lifted up' instead of just being sanded smooth.

Your bike is looking great! That chain ring is so ornate and cool, I'd just leave that area alone. A chain ring guard would cover to much of it I think. Love all your nice touches with the wing nuts and brass tension nuts , etc. The whole bike works well together, and that's hard to achieve. Your frame has a nice original look, with some shine left to it. For your stem, and handle bars, consider using a shellac to finish them instead of an oil. It will add an extra bit of shine to them, but still make it look vintage. There are a couple of guys that have used it on their builds here, and the bikes look amazing. I use Zinssers Amber Shellac for finishing repairs on the violins, violas , and cellos that I repair in my instrument repair business.
View attachment 121746

I like your tail light idea, that light is so cool! Even if it isn't from the same period or era, the two lights would offer some balance between front and rear too. Have you tried mocking it up in the verticle position? To mimic the front head light? It might even bolt onto that seat stay brace right under the saddle.

Those wood grips are a great touch! You have a look going here that just works so well.
One of the keys I have found in these builds is 'knowing when to quit'. Your eye will tell you when you're near that point.

RaT oN ~!
Oddjob thanks for the awesome tips and view! Appreciate you reading my stuff and looking at my junkpile :thumbsup:

Just wondering, what does the BACK40 mean? Is that a road in Maplewood? It sounds pretty cool.

I took a look at your Beer Boy Delivery bike, read every page and really like the work you've done there. Those wheels are sweet! I think I will try the Shellac tip, we probably have a similar product near here. How did you find out about this idea? Thanks to this forum?

For now I will leave the rear light idea, although it is an awesome piece! I did not try it in a vertical position, but I found something else which is related to "lighting" to put there and keep the clean "Pathracer" Ratracer looks :bandit: I will post it soon!

In the meantime a package came in:

nCP8rmi.jpg

xzpLkFh.jpg

Ljl65b1.jpg

This is a holster for a FN 10-22 pistol. This is used in Dutch service and maybe introduced somewhere between 1912 and 1925.

I will not alter this, a piece of history. I am only going to use it to put some tools in for the road :rockout:

Hey BRE, yes I heard about the shellac method here on RRB. The first place I saw it used was to cover some leather wound grips by my buddy Chad Thompson. Really cool effect. Then someone within the last year or two used it as a finish on an original patina frame and it was a winner look!

'The back forty' is a slang term for the furthest, and sometimes most remote section of a farmer's field. My BACK40 is my bike building shed, which is situated in the farthest corner from the house on our property, even though we are in the city.

If you watched the wheel 'rustifying video, you hear me talking about 'out here in the back forty' and that was 2 years before my shed was built. ;)

Oddjob thanks for the awesome tips and view! Appreciate you reading my stuff and looking at my junkpile :thumbsup:

Just wondering, what does the BACK40 mean? Is that a road in Maplewood? It sounds pretty cool.

I took a look at your Beer Boy Delivery bike, read every page and really like the work you've done there. Those wheels are sweet! I think I will try the Shellac tip, we probably have a similar product near here. How did you find out about this idea? Thanks to this forum?

For now I will leave the rear light idea, although it is an awesome piece! I did not try it in a vertical position, but I found something else which is related to "lighting" to put there and keep the clean "Pathracer" Ratracer looks :bandit: I will post it soon!

In the meantime a package came in:

nCP8rmi.jpg

xzpLkFh.jpg

Ljl65b1.jpg

This is a holster for a FN 10-22 pistol. This is used in Dutch service and maybe introduced somewhere between 1912 and 1925.

I will not alter this, a piece of history. I am only going to use it to put some tools in for the road :rockout:

I was going to ask if it's a holster for a Tokariev pistol (also known as TT). :21: Looks very simmilar, both in size & style.

back +‎ forty, meaning “back side of a farm”. In the Homestead Acts (1860s–), farmers were granted a quarter section; a section was 640 acres, a quarter section was 160 acres, and the quarter section was itself subdivided into four quarter-quarter sections of 40 acres each: two front forty and two back forty

Noun
back forty (plural back forties)

1. (US) The remote part of a farm.They couldn't contact the farmer right away because he was out plowing the back forty
  2. (US, idiomatic) The most remote or inaccessible part of any place.

back +‎ forty, meaning “back side of a farm”. In the Homestead Acts (1860s–), farmers were granted a quarter section; a section was 640 acres, a quarter section was 160 acres, and the quarter section was itself subdivided into four quarter-quarter sections of 40 acres each: two front forty and two back forty

Noun
back forty (plural back forties)

1. (US) The remote part of a farm.They couldn't contact the farmer right away because he was out plowing the back forty
  2. (US, idiomatic) The most remote or inaccessible part of any place.

If you notice, @MattiThundrrr I actually used the term 'section' in my explanation to BRE. I may have been born in a barn, but it wasn't yesterday! :bigsmile:

Thanks deven_science!!!!

I googled "BACK 40" and got a lot of restaurants, but I should have been "BACK FORTY" :grin: I like that!

Little detail update: Considering Pathracer bikes are quite clean in general, this build must have great details to keep up with the rest of the awesome builds its competing with!

So next one:
The pistol holster fits perfectly around the top tube! Still, I don't want it to wobble or swing so to get it a bit more stable I used more ex-militairy straps and shortened them! These straps are very common, so I am not bothered to alter them. The holster, frame, lamp etcetera I am much more careful with.

SIYhN9u.jpg

The holster with straps on the frame!

SF7xhbE.jpg

ALO7eva.jpg

This brown leather pocket holds a very old meter to measure light... Lumen so to say. I don't know if I will use it, but it fits perfectly between the tubes!
Maybe it is too much.

d4xPUjt.jpg

D0JrLzW.jpg

How did I shorten and finish the straps?

ObENOru.jpg

Original!

7AFVRDM.jpg

Drilled out!

iSotzzY.jpg

Found some copper nails/rivets! I don't have the original......what is it called?..... tules? bushes?

KAtdJ4O.jpg

A bit of tar allways smells delicious in the morning :rockout:

M6ygf1s.jpg

aTnrEyr.jpg

Last edited:
The small case fits between the stays nicely, but I'd be concerned about adding another color of leather, especially considering how near it is to the saddle and holster.

BRE, my dad had a leather case like that which held his light meter for shooting indoor photos with 35mm film back in the day. It matched his camera case. It was slung over his shoulder on the way in to every family gathering and event. One of my most cherished images of him. Mathematician, farmer, builder, father, photographer, and artist. A true renaissance man.

BRE, my dad had a leather case like that which held his light meter for shooting indoor photos with 35mm film back in the day. It matched his camera case. It was slung over his shoulder on the way in to every family gathering and event. One of my most cherished images of him. Mathematician, farmer, builder, father, photographer, and artist. A true renaissance man.
Man, sounds (reads ;) ) like some good memories there. Thank you for sharing!

I took two pictures of that light meter: (still not sure if I'll use it for the build)
gq8UpZc.jpg

hFRmVuC.jpg

Work update:

In the meanwhile, I was cleaning my shed and found some pedals. I always try and reuse/repair old stuff before placing a new order somewhere.

First found some plastic poopy pedals: (I had some before, long time ago and dropped some acetone over it..... they melted and locked up) :giggle:

aunGYPm.jpg

n3c8dPG.jpg

Cap/cover removed.

AsB1HWM.jpg

Picture above: I removed the first (m6) nut, but did not have tools thin enough to fit in there, to remove the main nut. So I clamped the complete pedal :bigsmile: I am not going to use the plastic base for this build!

DwHoRZk.jpg

Hmm, I hoped to find industrial bearings in there........

So I found some other pedals, there look like crap but they rotate and feel perfect!
I want to customize them, use metal, wood of bronze or something like that.
jFpH5Wx.jpg

Removing the rubber outer layer.

vVHA2QH.jpg

Oxidized aluminum does not look as pretty as rusty steel agreed?

I can work with this pedal. More updates soon!

At this time I am trying to get the seatpost and some nuts to rust a bit:
I damaged/sanded the parts, then used thick bleach on the chromed/galvanised steel and after that put some salt/vinegar brew over it. Now let it rest outside... These things are hard to get rusty, or that is my patience speaking :rofl:
IcJxN40.jpg

PsjK18B.jpg

Also found a very old rusty chaincover to alter and fit. The guy sold it for 3 euros, sweet!
I have some pretty sweet ideas that I can do with this.

Now its time to get me some eggs for lunch. I'm taking the American Eagle today!
76fZNqc.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:
You are coming up with some very cool vintage doodads!

Thank you Kingfish254! I have too much old stuff lying around... and too much hobbies!
I have some old explosion resistant minelamps, aircraft parts, wooden mine lamps....
Our kitchen is made of of an old wooden workbench, the wood looks absolutely beautiful!
The dining table lamp is made from some Russian MIG jetfighter combustion chambers, absolutely sick! :rockout: But not for everyone I can understand that :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back