Everything old is new again

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Saw this and just thought I would share.

Frame alone costs more than a new worksman and pretty close to what a decent Cycle truck would cost ... no basket and you have to find your own stand. Can't deny the coolness of its looks and has modern bike perks. Still rather own a worksman / schwinn / roadmaster version myself.

soma_tradesman_v2_2_800-370x300.jpg

Drop-outs should be fine; they're forged and way stronger than the flimsy track-ends on my Worksman LGB...

Soma seems to have commissioned the production of this frame as a response to the up-market Ahearne Cycle Truck:
Ahearne-XL-Cycle-Truck-600x518.jpg

Discs and derailers have their place, but I'm happy to stick with my Worksman for truck duty.

On a related note, have you seen the other Soma truck, with the linkage steering? Called the Pickup Artist.... very Bilenky-ish
Soma.PickUpArtist-014-600x450.jpg

That republic doesn't look bad, from the proportions of everything on it it looks like it could be some sort of new bike share folder contraption. These Somas can still get a bit on the nerdy side too I guess lol

527543_455084607857840_219341764_n.jpg

:confused: Is that a Child Carrier on the Front ??o_O

~RafaeL~

Now all it needs is a holder for your Phone so you can ride and Text !!

~RafaeL~

:confused: Is that a Child Carrier on the Front ??o_O
It's a Euro thing, not well understood by US liability laws. Some setups like that sold in Europe even have a little windshield to keep the bugs off the child's face.

The pistol holster by the seatpost is odd tho'. ;)

--------

One thing I think is wrong about most all of these (kinds of) bikes, is that they use different-sized wheels.

I have a recumbent bike that uses a 20" front and a 26" rear. It's very efficient to pedal and a wonderful long-distance bike, but carrying two sizes of innertubes is a hassle. In that use however, maintaining the overall pedaling efficiency is important.

IMO....... For a cargo or city bike,,,,,, if you want to use a 20" on the front wheel, you might as well also change the rear to a 20" and just run an oversize sprocket. 56 or 58T or whatever. A cargo bike like this isn't intended for racing or extreme long-distance riding. The loss of motive efficiency (from using a 20" rear wheel instead of a 26") is more than made up for in practical ease of use (less overall length and less hassle carrying spare tubes).

I think going 20" front and rear would present some geometric compromises that I'd sooner avoid. So long as we're carrying 100+ pounds of cargo, having 2 spares tubes instead of one is just a drop in the bucket. Plus, I tend to carry a patch kit instead of a tube anyway. Also, FWIW, Schwalbe makes Marathons in both the 406mm 20" and 559mm 26", and if you're running Marathons or the even more stalwart Marathon Plus, you don't really need to carry a spare. I'm building my Worksman LGB with Schwalbe Big Apples, which aren't quite as flatproof, but they offer good protection, too. So, yeah, my plan is to go with a patchkit only....

But, yeah, I see what you mean about how using just one size is convenient....but I like frames made for 26" (or bigger) wheels, and I see the low CoG benefit of a 20" front as being worthwhile.

Republic is making one that is similar in price to the Worksman. http://www.republicbike.com/build_socrates.asp

republic_socrates_odeon.jpg

Good on Republic for offering a somewhat cheap truck, but let's see what the actual comparison for the price is like:

Frame: Steel vs Aluminum--- advantage: Worksman
Basket: Steel vs Recycled Plastic: advantage: Worksman
Stability: Dropstand as standard vs nothing: advantage: Worksman
Origins: made in USA vs made in Ppl's Republic of China: advantage: Worksman (unless you live in China).
Options: 1spd/3spd/7spd vs 3spd/7sp(no 1spd option): advantage: Worksman
Signage: Unavailable vs Standard: advantage: Republic
Color options: A Few vs A Bunch: advantage: Republic
Brakes: Nothing (Drum optional) front/ Coaster rear vs Disc front/ Coaster rear: advantage: Republic, even though I would prefer the drum to the disc, I know most might disagree
MSRP: $589 vs $699: advantage: Worksman (even with 3 speed option, Worksman is still $20 less....)

I think the Worksman is the better way to go, especially when you take subjective/aesthetic concerns into account. The Worksman looks the part, whereas the Republic looks like a Pixar character. (Then again, some ppl like that kind of thing, so...)

**EDIT: I see that a double kickstand is included in the specs, but for some reason it's not pictured....

Last edited:
I think you could chalk another mark up to Worksman for the color options too ... 3 standard colors to pick from and several more for a $25 upcharge.

Also ran across a Pashley "Deli Bike" ... again likely an overpriced fashion statement ... but its nice to see people trying lol

lifestyle_16-1000x1000.jpeg

Honestly I cant see much of a practical reason to ride a cycle truck other than "I have one". A cheap trailer would likely prove just as useful, just not the same cool factor to it :)

CCR: I see the usefulness of trailers, but it's nice to have a "ready to go" cargo bike that you can get on and go, versus having to hook up a trailer.... And, yeah, the trucks have a certain "cool" factor, too....

I believe that I'd skip the Cetma in favor of a Haley trike:
cochranestreetmnt2front2.jpg

I almost picked up a Pashley Deli off the Phila CL a few years back, but didn't, mostly due to the wicker basket and fractional wheels....

Stay tuned for pics of my LGB: it needs to go off to the powdercoaters, then, wheels built, and finally, i'll have it done (except the sign...)

The Pickup Artist is pretty interesting looking bike, think I would dig something like the Cetma cargo bikes even more though.

LargoComplete1_1024x1024.jpg
I do like them, but the straight up and down steering head tube bugs me, I would prefer they made it a bit longer and had some angle on it, just to fix the looks...

The box on that Haley trike looks SWEET !!!

Also had chime back in to share this too, (just for you Doug C) I think it might be an early example of alley cat racing ??? :acute:

delivery-tricycle-race.jpg

Latest posts

Back