Extended Cruise - Added to Finished Build Thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work. I assume you made your frame jig as well?

The scratch or custom frame builds like this are def a step above us drill and bolt guys.

Thanks. I did make the jig but there really isn't a lot to it. It's basically pre-drilled 1" tubing typically used for storage shelving, some pieces of plain tubing, and clamps. Previous build-off I used 1" for the straight horizontals. I'm using 2"x3" this time around to help hold the vertical pieces more stable. I'll probably eventually upgrade to 2"x3" verticals and make axle plates or purchase them from Chop Source.

I'd put up an argument with the idea that a scratch or custom frame is a step above drill and bolt ;) I'd say the overwhelming majority of previous and current builds I really admire on here are drill and bolt. When a build is just "right"... stance, wheels, tires, color, finishes, details, every element working together to create a cohesive statement... how it got there doesn't really weigh in on whether it grabs my attention. I only lean towards a scratch build because, for now, I'm enjoying the design and fabrication problem solving. I wouldn't say that one approach is better than the other. Just different and for me, either one is capable of producing that nice punch in the gut reaction that the best builds give!

I think what I meant by 'a step above' was the level of construction involved in the build; not necessarily the creative aspect or the result achieved. Think of it as building a house from the ground up, rather than doing a remodel.

Thanks for the input on the jig. I'm always interested in the methods people use to accomplish their goals.

Before I got too far into the welding I wanted to check the distance between the rear tire and seat. Decided to move the seat back a bit and gain a little more space.

Seat Post Forward
seatPostForward.jpg

Seat Post Moved Back
seatPostBack.jpg

Finished up most of the frame welding and initial weld clean up.

weldSmooth03.jpg

weldSmooth04.jpg

weldSmooth06.jpg

weldSmooth01.jpg

weldSmooth02.jpg

weldSmooth05.jpg

I'm disappointed with the area in front of the seat post. The gussets were welded on top and I lost detail where the tubes come together. Really stands out to me with just the bare frame. I may make some changes there, maybe add a couple through holes? Something to break up the flat surface.

Put a couple mock-ups together with the frame out of the jig. I tried an alternate version with some high-rise bars just because I had them handy. Funny how a single component can make such a difference and begin to suggest a completely different approach. I may go with the high-rise bars simply because I can see the end result will be a bike considerably different than the bike I thought I was building. Looks like that version might be more fun to ride too.

Flipped Bars

frnt3qtr_low.jpg

rear3qtr_low.jpg

sideview_low.jpg

High-Rise Bars

frnt3qtr_high.jpg

rear3qtr_high.jpg

sideview_high.jpg

Just....WOW.
I'm always so blown away by all of you guys with fabbing skills. I can "customize" bikes and motorcycles (have even had a couple of articles and a spot on a calendar done for mine), but it's just not the same as building from scratch like this. The fabrication, the vision in your head brought together in a real, working bicycle...just blows me away. And just love the lines of this. So very frikkin' cool!
I am a little concerned about your seat/rear tire clearance, however, i.e., spring movement, if you decide that you don't have enough leg room and want to raise the seat post, etc...?
Will certainly be watching this one closely! :thumbsup:

Just....WOW.
I'm always so blown away by all of you guys with fabbing skills. I can "customize" bikes and motorcycles (have even had a couple of articles and a spot on a calendar done for mine), but it's just not the same as building from scratch like this. The fabrication, the vision in your head brought together in a real, working bicycle...just blows me away. And just love the lines of this. So very frikkin' cool!
I am a little concerned about your seat/rear tire clearance, however, i.e., spring movement, if you decide that you don't have enough leg room and want to raise the seat post, etc...?
Will certainly be watching this one closely! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much! The seat/rear tire clearance is a concern for sure. To be honest I didn't take the spring movement into consideration :13: go figure! I've got options though. I can flip the seat clamp backwards to move the seat forward relative to the post a bit. Could even use longer bolts for the spring attachment that would prevent any movement at all. A little drastic but it would work.

Front Springer Mock-up

I have a number of mountain bike springs in the parts pile and had wondered if one could be used for a front fork spring. Seem's just about any bike related online search leads back to info on these forums!

From RRBO11 and @kowalski385 :
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...t-the-fall-of-the-third-reich-finished.99458/

This mock-up requires a bit of imagination. I plan to use inverted fork ends on both sides of the main fork, add an additional attachment point at the bar stem, and whittle away at the dropouts to create something a bit more aesthetically pleasing. The dropouts might also require either a bend or cut and layer to stagger and align the attachment points for the forks and front axle. That, as well as any straightening issues should become obvious when I bolt everything up tighter.

fork01_25.jpg

fork02_25.jpg

fork03_25.jpg

fork04_25.jpg

Latest posts

Back