Extrastahlohr Titanus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plug is the same size as the original hole, but threaded so the plug can be removed in the future is anyone is interested in originality. The oil filler hole is also tapped to the same size as original so that can be original also.
Under side plug in BB.
IMG_1565.JPG

Tapped for oil filler cup.
IMG_1562.JPG

I made an oil cap for the hole in the top of the Bottom Bracket. I used the very top of a Presta valve with out a removable core. I cut the wire off and the core innards fell out. I then cut off the tip off of the Presta valve. I filed down a brass Presta/Schrader vale adapter to make it smaller. I filed down a brass Schrader valve cap to fit on the adapter. I soldered the Schrader cut off stem into the adapter. This fits the hole in the BB that I threaded. This is only a cap as the BB will use grease instead of oil. The originality of the BB is maintained as the cap could be removed.
IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

Original on an old Gloria frame.
Gloria_BB-250x187.jpg

Last edited:
I got the frame back from the powder coater. I had them do it in chrome, which I read would not look like chrome, but more like silver paint. I thought this would be OK as it was originally nickel plated, not as shiny as chrome, and the coating would be durable. They went out of their way and did 3 coats and it is very close to chrome, surely as good as nickel. It looks way better than the pictures. I'm so happy.
IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG

I built a front brake out of a gazillion vintage steel parts. I used long reach caliper arms in the hopes that they will have enough adjustment to fit the wood rims. I have cork brake pads. The vintage steel brake lever also has excellent chrome. In all that left over stuff I don't think I have the stuff to build another complete brake.
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG

This thing is giving me the typical assembly fight. The skip tooth track cog I bought didn't give enough clearance so the skip tooth block chain could clear the spokes on the hub, a BB adjustable cup lock ring for a spacer didn't work. I just got another cog that might work but I haven't tried it yet. I had a new head tube put in the frame and the cups won't quite fit. I'm reaming and facing the head tube do they fit. Cheese and crackers.
IMG_1812 2.JPG

I would not have guessed that was powder coat, if you hadn't said so. It really looks like buffed metal!
Yeah, I know, I really lucked out. All other chrome powder coat I have seen looked like silver paint. The coater put two top layers of clear on it and it really popped. There isn't much difference between the chrome pieces and the frame powder. It looks like nickel to me.

Latest posts

Back