Fake-Rust Paint Job?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I am building a bike and I am aiming for a more rat rod like one. Ofcourse, being a rat rod, it is supposed to be weathered. So I want to create a fake-rust paint job. I am currently experimenting with different paints. But does anyone have some links or info or maybe even a brand of some sort that creates a rust/weathered look alike paint job. If so, I'd like to hear or see them please.

if you want real rust take your frame down to bare metal and saturate it with salt water and vinegar. peroxide and vinegar will give you red tones and bleach will give ya so greens and blues. its a lengthy process cause u have to give the metal time to actually rust and not rub off as soon as you touch it. clear it and youre good to go

If you want to paint i dont recommend spray paint. if youre not a painter you can go to any automotive paint store and get paint injected into a spray can. i use a rusty metal primer, a burnt copper, a red oxide, flat black and hammered black for rust deposit texture. i spray while the paint is still wet so all the paints can have an orgy and do their thing. i like the turnout.

If you want to apply a rust finish, I recommend this product. I used it on fiberglass and it looks like real metal.

This is a fiberglass tank...
100_7382_zps2801fc5b.jpg

5bafddf7-cb8c-4385-89b1-84c03b5bb9a8_zps9615422e.jpg

Rebel 56 and Renaissance Man both offer great suggestions.
I used the salt/vinegar/peroxide method on my Wasp ater taking it to bare metal.
There's a bit of the textured Rustoleum here and there as well.
HollywoodCamaroandWasp002_zps79a75881.jpg
TheHideoutandBatavus015_zpsc9d51d7b.jpg

You may also want to check this link to 'Pick's' Winter Build Off Winner from last year in which he combined and discussed a few methods.
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?
threads/winter-build-off-irrational-fe2o3.79603/

019_zpsed1cf578.jpg

Last edited:
I've already seen types of paint such as Modern Masters , and they do indeed look very good. But I live in the Netherlands, and this kind of paint is hard to get. Most stores have never even heard of it. Wich is too bad, I would really like to use it because it's not the actual bike that is rusting. So I think I'll go with a multi layer spraypaint and sand it down. Or create a rust effect by making a pattern of different colors.

If I would go with the salt/vinegar/peroxide, wouldn't the bike rust trough?

Last edited:
I've already seen types of paint such as Modern Masters , and they do indeed look very good. But I live in the Netherlands, and this kind of paint is hard to get. Most stores have never even heard of it. Wich is too bad, I would really like to use it because it's not the actual bike that is rusting. So I think I'll go with a multi layer spraypaint and sand it down. Or create a rust effect by making a pattern of different colors.

If I would go with the salt/vinegar/peroxide, wouldn't the bike rust trough?
It would take years for it to rust through. And there's ways of neutralizing it. Either spray it or brush on the salt water and vinegar and leave it outside. Over the course of a few days keep reapplying the solution and you will see the rust tones darken by the day. You can take hot water and baking soda and wipe it down and it will stop the oxidization process immediately. Coat it with one more layer of vinegar and then clear coat it. If you don't neutralize the rust with the water and baking soda it will continue to rust under the clear coat and can end up looking muddy.

Here is a test of a faux rust paint job. If interested i will post the steps.
That actually looks really good and realistic. I would love to see how it's done. I've also found another type of oxy-paint here in the Netherlands. It works and looks pretty much the same (same goes for the price...).So I think it will be eithrt this or the oxy-paint.

Here is what I did.

step one I sprayed with Rustoleums texture paint. Have to admit I do not remember which exact color but they do have a "rust " color or a multi color brown. Think I used the a brown.

Step two: I rubbed in some of the Valspar antiquing glaze. You just want to get it into the texture not create a coat with it.

Step three: Dry brush some orange here and there. Once again just want to get some of the color on the top of the texture.

Then I did my usual clear coating: a few coats of a gloss clear followed by a light coat of a matte clear.

If I ever use it on a project I will do a photo step by step but for now this should get you started.

I stripped bare spots on an old painted frame to bare metal with a vinegar soak in the bathtub. I partially stripped the paint off a newer fork and chain guard with paint remover. Then I got it hot and applied Birchwood Casey hot gun metal browning. I didn't polish out the browning finish, in fact I added different amounts of browning solution here and there. Then I rubbed on a coat of Penetrol as a preserver. It looks more découpage than the other more real looking faux rust jobs.

Before vinegar soak

Latest posts

Back