Faux Pedersen Ortho

Nov 22, 2011
KS
It was 4 degrees when I got up. I hauled the bike and some parts inside for rough fitting with my wife’s approval. The mock-up is one option. I also have a couple other wheelset options by switching some around on other bikes.
I think my next project relates to the seating accommodations. Think I know what a want to do, just need put ideas into action. A few 10 degree shots of mockup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
KS
I think the truss need some angle somewhere, but where? At the top of the fork maybe...
If you could make a shot on profile with the whole bike, we could do some visual test with photoshop.
Thought I had a bracket that would work at top for mounting but no go. I plan to work out the top end mounting over the next couple of days. That would determine possible profile. In looking at the www.pedersenbicycles.com page the rods/tubes appear to be straight, just angled geometry connections.
I appreciate your truss rod suggestion as they do help emulate the “Pedersen” profile geometry. I’m thinking that 3/8” rods might look better...might change the size.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingfish254

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Love the trusses so far.
I think you may be right about 3/8" looking better.
As far as an upper bracket, do you have any old steer tube mounted light or reflector brackets? Right now the geometry looks a little off with the upper ends being so much farther away from the angle of the headtube. I think it will flow better if you can get the top ends of the trusses mounted closer to the steertube.
The idea is definitely a keeper though.

Nov 22, 2011
KS
I think the truss need some angle somewhere, but where? At the top of the fork maybe...
If you could make a shot on profile with the whole bike, we could do some visual test with photoshop.
I did a little work on the rod mounts today. Here are a few profile shots of the revised assembly.

Nov 22, 2011
KS
I tweaked the truss rods and mounting points this morning using stuff from garage. A U-bolt, square tubing (needs endcaps), and the nuts that I had. Drilling and filing...the bottom mounting bracket needs work or a bit more beef to tighten things up. Front axle isn’t long enough to do an axle mount.

Agreed. Truss rods seem like a good idea to me, but it looks strange to me being perfectly straight. Need to curve into the fork connection, or curve into the stem at the top of the head tube, rather than go straight up to the top of the stem.

Reactions: MazdaFlyer
Nov 22, 2011
KS
Agreed. Truss rods seem like a good idea to me, but it looks strange to me being perfectly straight. Need to curve into the fork connection, or curve into the stem at the top of the head tube, rather than go straight up to the top of the stem.
The straightness would be in-keeping with the Pedersen design geometry. A bend would help with some potential brake arm interference. A bend also requires some additional rod length. As it sits now all 36” is being used. It’s evolving...thanks for you input, it’s always welcome.

Reactions: kingfish254