Favorite Bike Maker?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Zombie

~:Undead Forever:~
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was scrolling about for the first time in a LONG time here,. Normally I just pop on and see whats been posted in I.D. or New Finds threads and hop off after commentary, if any.. but today I happened NOT to find any posts relative to this one I've made,.

We -mostly- all have that one Maker [CWC, Murray, Columbia,....Schwinn] that we hold higher than the rest for reasons I can only imagine surround Design, Durability and Personal Attachment [had one like it as a kid..]..
I know a lot about certain brands and what I LIKE about them., but I figured this would open things up for both myself and others based on experienced handler and owners opinions.

For instance,. I like Columbia for their Paint Schemes,Shapeliness and overall ease to work with. It doesnt hurt they mostly interchange with Elgin in the same eras on top of it ;)

-Flying Zombie

I like them all, there different in certain way's. My favorites are Schwinn and CWC, but I love my Colson too. I just love going out to the garage and going.....Hmm:39: Ah... Screw it! I'll ride this one today!:thumbsup: I love'm all!:banana:

image.jpg
I have to admit, I love the Western Flyer jet theme for graphic's! :thumbsup:

I like the lines of prewar Schwinn frames, and the quality of some Schwinn components. The headsets and bottom brackets specifically, almost always worth reusing. ;-)

I like the lines of prewar Schwinn frames, and the quality of some Schwinn components. The headsets and bottom brackets specifically, almost always worth reusing. ;-)
Yes, this is very true.... the steel used BITD was different stuff as compared to new parts that'll fit a Chicago Schwinn. The same is true of old Raleigh bits--- which you're basically forced to save, on account of the unique threads...

Which leads me to answering the OP's question: it's really hard to say, depending on what you're looking for in a bike. I really like the old Nottingham-built Brit bikes, b/c they're just no-nonsense quality, and really just practical bikes. Chicago Schwinns are great, largely b/c they're bombproof and you can get the diamond frames for dirt-cheap and then build whatever you want out of them. And I absolutely LOVE my Super Sport; such quality, with basically no pretense. That being said, before the 60s, Columbia was hot on Schwinn's heels, trying to knock'm off the top spot in the USA, and making some top-notch frames. It seems like they finally gave up at some point in the 60s, though...

Right now, i have a huge amount of appreciation for Worksman, b/c you can get an authentically old-tech bike, but it's brand-new.... that's a rare thing indeed.

But, ultimately, I think the best deals are found in 80s-era steel Japanese bikes.
The high-end ones are works of art, and even the low-end ones tend to be very well-finished. I've owned and/or worked on Panasonics, Miyatas, Bridgestones, Fujis, Nishikis, Lotus, etc.... The low-end Nishikis and Fujis can be a bit jenky, but otherwise, they're all excellent bikes that make sense for ppl who want to just ride. I'm aware that the styling isn't to everyone's liking, but i still have to fight off the urge to get a brand-new (as in, 2015) Panasonic track bike pretty much every couple months. The pride in worksmanship is just really apparent with these bikes, and I'm sad to say it's not as obvious that folks in other parts of the world care as much.

Any and all as long as it's not a Schwinn way way to many people think that there's nothing else but Schwinn in being a bike.... Schwinn and Schwinn related FLOOD the bike market every day. lets see ya find a original rear rack for a 40's men's hawthorne in any condition. Just my 2 cents.

Any and all as long as it's not a Schwinn way way to many people think that there's nothing else but Schwinn in being a bike.... Schwinn and Schwinn related FLOOD the bike market every day. lets see ya find a original rear rack for a 40's men's hawthorne in any condition. Just my 2 cents.
Savage! I was hoping you'd post! Good to hear from you, Bud! Got some updates for ya when you got time ;)

I feel now is as good a time as any to clear up my feelings about Schwinn.,
[like I'm explaining myself for breaking up with her..]
Trigger Warning:
Here comes the Novel..

I personally enjoy CWC, Rollfast and Columbia,. Columbia being my first in line having owned my first from Bri-In-Ri and boy is it a smooth rider..
Many of you know I began here with a Murray Built Flying-O Step-Through I named "The Tortoise" it was the bike that gave me the idea for my nickname [gotta find that name thread again...] and as much fun as it was,as many memories.. it was a 1969 and gave me nothing but problems from the start.

-kicks rocks-

I see Schwinn, and were talking AS Schwinn, not the cheap crap being passed off today.. as a solid and quality bike,.some having their own lines and style to them..many being revised styles of bygone era [thus we have the BFK's..] which in terms of nostalgic appearance, sure.. its there..kinda. The colors are often candy toned and really pretty..I even like the logos., they are good STRONG quality bikes that I've used the hardware from in my Own current builds..

I cant after this say I don't like Schwinn anymore., I do.. I do like Schwinn. But there are Other Makers in the world who have done Just As Good with Quality [If not better in some instances] as Arnold Schwinn. I get it,. once you have the bug for them, its your thing. But I learned much more about my Columbia than Id ever even seen advertised about Schwinn both out of interest for my own bike and my 'Avid-ness' to discover all I could for documentation.

Like my partner, I'm often one for the Underdog. Schwinn was never that as a builder, and I feel it overcast a lot of other more inventive, and creative bikes and designs of bikes and their according accessories as a whole. So I like Schwinn, I don't like that Schwinn seems to be the only brand people can account for Quality.,

-Flying Zombie

Like I said in my earlier post, I appreciate and love a lot of different bicycle manufacturer's. I have Schwinn, CWC, JC Higgins, Monark, Huffman, Colson, etc. for example, I have 3 Schwinn typhoons, 3 JC Higgins flightliners. They are both obviously middleweight's, Love them both! But you compare them to each other? One's built like a tank, the other is? Well I think you get what I'm saying. I'm not all Schwinn by any stretch of the imagination, but when you look at the two? No comparison. And again... I appreciate them all.

I can see your point also, alot of people don't even know these other bikes even exist. when I started getting in to them, even I was amazed. I admit, I started with a Schwinn, and then the others soon followed.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back