Outskirtscustoms finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carrotsnax said:
What a great idea! That looks like it would be comfortable to use when working and small enough to stow away....Genius.

Yep and with my limited storage I love stuff that folds flat. Even my truing stand folds flat.

stand001.jpg

stand002.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
kngtmat said:
Nice little bike. I have seen that before in a few department store Wishbook's people have scanned like the 1981 Wards catalog that looks close but the reflector is in a different spot.

He has more on his Flickr gallery.
http://www.wishbookweb.com/

Thanks, boy times have changed haven't they? Just a few pages before the bike (page 372) you could buy a build it yourself cannon for $200! :shock:

You used to get really cool bike parts through those stores at great prices but I think when the year 2000 came they all disappeared. I used to love seeing Bikextras CPC (Cycle Products Company) and Murray bicycle parts in Kmart.

Well this one cost me my .410 shotgun in trade (The one I got in trade for the $28 mower) but I think it was worth it. I saw this Ross Apollo 3 speed in the local antique shop and much to my surprise it was owned by a guy I've done business with before (remember the green Diamondback and all those mag rims? And that Western Flyer Fast One frame? Yep same guy) so I offered him a trade (I was broke) and he said he'd think about it. I thought it would be gone by the time I got the cash together so I was about to forget about it when I got a call. Sure enough he wanted to trade me. So now I have another cool muscle bike in my stable. He got a fair deal, I didn't have to come off of much cash, and everybody wins. Guess you could say I pulled the trigger on this deal. :lol:

:shock: I couldn't believe the great condition of the seat.

Dark Horse 2 approves of his new buddy

If you're wondering what's new on Dark Horse 2

Then earlier in the week I met up with Chips_Mahoy and did some trading and I ended up with 4 more frames to play with.

This one reminds me of the Ross Barracuda I used for Dark Pony

Unknown Single bar cantilever frame

Western Flyer something or other

And this black cantilever frame I think he said it was an early Sears Spyder.

I have been searching for one of these twin straight bar Schwinns for quite some time now and finally found one on craigslist for a fair deal so I figured why not? Should be here momentarily and I can look at it closer and get better pics. Love me some Schwinns! :mrgreen:

3te3L73I45s65H35t2d6ob943d427e99a199d.jpg

I got it! It's a bit rougher than expected but it is nice and I'm happy with it, Super cool old guy was nice enough to deliver it for a bit of gas money. Seat has been re-covered but they did a nice job of it other than painting the undercarriage white. Probably re-spray it black. Fenders and frame have also been re-sprayed but done nicely so I might just go bare metal or try my hand at creating some patina on the existing paint. Also had some Hunt Wilde grips so I swapped those out for a pair of nice old Schwinn script grips I had laying in my toolbox. Still for $55 and $20 on delivery I'm still stoked to own it. Well here's a few pictures, I'm going for a test ride! :mrgreen:

Well I rode it to the dollar store and back and it rides great but the low bars had to go, I threw some mini apes on it I had laying around and I like them. I Also got some black paint to re-do the seat's undercarriage so that looks better now. Not done but are they ever really done?

Serial number is B020836 so it was made on February 5th 1960. Any help on a model??? I am thinking Typhoon but not 100% sure.

In 1960, according to the price lists and catalogs, it could only be a Tornado or Deluxe Tornado. Typhoon came out in 62, and the Skipper and Flying Star wasn't offered in 60, but was in 61.

tornadofan said:
definetly a tornado

I thought the Tornado only had a single tube in the center? This one is dual tube center. I love it though, the mini apes bring the grips up just enough to be comfortable and it rides great! I might re-cover the seat in tan or black or just swap it all together.

Very nice....and a nice price as well.

The mini apes look perfect! 8)

Thanks, I have been looking for one of these since first seeing one on this site shortly after joining. Yes I have come a long way from the Bootlegger but I still miss that one just because it was the first build I did on this site. It rides much better with the mini apes and is a lot more comfortable of a riding position. The seat is kinda weird though, I'm not sure if that's the way it's made or if something is missing but it springs from front and back simultaneously.

Latest posts

Back