Finding stuff while riding

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find lots of beer cans.

My wife picks up beer cans. Rinse, redeemed at $0.05 each in this state, the money goes to the local animal shelters. About $100 worth each year. Most are retrieved when she runs. She use to limit her self to just 2 cans per run but now takes a plastic grocery bag or 2 to fill up. More money for the dogs that way. A couple times per year, she finds unopened cans.

Hah, been there, done that. Watching a front tire go rolling down the hill in front of the car was quite illuminating. My parents 54 Chevy did that when I was a teen. My dad would never spend more than $2 for car tires (or $400 for a car) so I got really good at changing car tires (like in the movie, A Christmas Story). I remember being on a road trip with my dad when we stopped in Mechanicsville to get one lug bolt replaced. What a name for a town. The hubcap caught it and it made noise at low speed. So many tires meant several extra wheels and one must have been bent so it popped the lug bolts off one at a time until the whole wheel went a couple days later. Anyone familiar with 50's Chevys knows they are like tanks and losing a wheel isn't a big deal.

Lol I've restored a 56 Chevy at the body shop I worked at that thing was a tank.
I've started thinking about collecting lugnuts for scrap as they are easier to carry than cans lol.

Get one of those magnets on a stick and you don't even have to stop to collect them.

I find hand tools from time to time but mostly lugnuts; the abundance of lugnuts on the side of the road scares me a bit thinking how many cars may end up with there wheels coming off.
Lugnuts and universals! Well not all the universal, just a cap! You know that is going to end, badly.
Oddly enough I see wheel bearings occasionally, how?????

Oddly enough I see wheel bearings occasionally, how?????

When the threaded and split end of the axle snaps off, the hub or drum falls off exposing the bearings. Those threads and the cotter pin hole are stress risers.

Or they fall thru the rust holes in the scrappers old trucks.

Just found these. Needs the bolt but otherwise intact.
egequvy7.jpg

I'm sort of new here. But I do like the title of this thread. Back a few months ago I was cruising the neighborhood and brought home an Crate MX10 guitar amp. Little work and cleaning and it sounds fine. A few weeks later I found Ovation acoustic guitar. But the funnest thing I found was a box full of full whiskey bottles. Had a great time with that stuff. I have found other things too like fishing tackle box full of tackle.

Latest find was a Snapon 10mm combo box wrench. $32 retail and it's a size I can actually use.

Ok guys, been noticing those little co2 cartridges all over for some time, now they are showing up on my street. My dead end street.
Are people using these to get a momentary, "high?"
I'm going to be getting them some magnesium and a lighter, or call the cops.
Frightening to think, some people are inhaling something to render them unconscious while DRIVING!
WOW-we have my 2 children, across the street is a foster home with 6-8 kids, and 2 neighborhood drunks that take turns sleeping on the street. (Explain that to a 9 year old)
If this is the case and I end up hit by some huffer, they best hope I die.
I can't imagine people inhaling CO2 (doubt there's a high involved), maybe if it was nitrous, that would be the cause. Otherwise, CO2 cartridges are used for air rifles, paintball, bicycle pumps, soda machines, and a bunch of other stuff. But it is odd that you are finding lots of them.

I can't imagine people inhaling CO2 (doubt there's a high involved), maybe if it was nitrous, that would be the cause. Otherwise, CO2 cartridges are used for air rifles, paintball, bicycle pumps, soda machines, and a bunch of other stuff. But it is odd that you are finding lots of them.
I'd say look up whippits
This got real big for a while and those co2 containers were everywhere.
Still find them here & there but not like before.

But whippets are food-grade Nitrous oxide. I think he is talking about CO2 cartridges. There should be some identifying info stamped on the cartridge.

In Cedar Rapids, 2 or 3 times each year, there is a rash of windows shot out of cars. A hundred in 1 night is typical. An air pistol doesn't make noise so they can shoot away without attracting attention. I suspect co2 and pellets are a lot cheaper than real ammo. Leaves more cash for beer first.

But whippets are food-grade Nitrous oxide. I think he is talking about CO2 cartridges. There should be some identifying info stamped on the cartridge.
Lol true but remember people are not smart lol.
I saw a couple guys at Walmart buying a huge box of bb gun co2 cartridge and a bag of balloons talking about how high they were going to get.

Couple that with people huffing from air duster cans & even the fact some have flipped the can and huffed and died from it. Again people are not smart.
In Cedar Rapids, 2 or 3 times each year, there is a rash of windows shot out of cars. A hundred in 1 night is typical. An air pistol doesn't make noise so they can shoot away without attracting attention. I suspect co2 and pellets are a lot cheaper than real ammo. Leaves more cash for beer first.
This is a good point. We had similar but with frozen paintballs a few wears ago.

Frozen paintballs are evil BTW . saw a guy shoot out 4 car windows with 1 shot; that's Scarry.

Last edited:
During the build off I went for a test ride, but as I was riding down the lane with starsNbars, I found two like new Co Pilot child bike seats laying next to the trash. I googled them and saw that these suckers sell for $130 new!!!! I snatched them up and only had to take them a block away to my house. I ended up selling them on craigslist for what I paid for my starsNbars frame. So I guess you could say I found a FREE 1938 Hawthorne Twin Bar build off frame while riding it.

Latest posts

Back