Firestone Pilot custom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firestone Pilot that I picked up and put back together. I'm not really sure of the year but I like the rear facing drop outs
20190505_114743.jpg
and adjustment screws. I also have the original chain guard.

Last edited:
Huffman made those frames from '49 (maybe late '48) to sometime in the late '50s (at least '58). There should be a serial on the bottom bracket that is either H# or #H. The number is the last digit of the year.

Sweet ride :thumbsup:,
Jason

Huffman made those frames from '49 (maybe late '48) to sometime in the late '50s (at least '58). There should be a serial on the bottom bracket that is either H# or #H. The number is the last digit of the year.

Sweet ride :thumbsup:,
Jason
Thanks Rustygold. When I saw it I was hoping it might be prewar with the rear facing drop outs
20190426_173449.jpg
but it's still a nice looking bike.

Schwinn has a definite pre- / post- war transition from rear facing to front facing dropouts. Other companies are less defined :grin:. To the best of my knowledge, these 'sooner together' frames never had front facing dropouts.

Your '8' could probably go either way, but is probably '58. The only way to determine decade of Huffman/Huffy is by the paint, equipment, graphics, etc.

Looooooove this thing. Great colors, great updates, just perfect.

What handlebars are these?

I agree with '48 if the fork is original to the frame. To me, it looks to be a repaint...so, I assumed the fork was an addition. If there is residual original paint that matches the two together (inside bottom bracket same as steer tube). I'm resistant to it being a '48 due to the rarity...but, it's definitely possible.

I took a quick jog around the internet, and I believe you do have a '48 Firestone Pilot.

The Firestone Pilot seems to have been made '41-'42 and '47-'48. I've found Murray, Huffman, Monark, and Colson Firestone Pilots in 20", 24", and 26". All with the same badge. 10~18 Customs has two of them (Huffman) on his sold bikes page. Thanks @rrtbike for bringing this back up. Just made a cool bike even cooler :thumbsup:.

Wow. Thanks Rustygold. It doesn't seem to be original paint. I haven't tried to figure out it the forks are original yo the frame but I could take it apart to see.
I put on the crank, tires, stem and bars. I could post a picture of the chain guard also if you want.

Latest posts

Back