Firestone Pilot Refurbish

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's that 'tweener' time again...between the end of the Winter Build Off and the start of the RRB annual Summer Build Off.

Last year I built Faded Glory during the month of April. It was the first bike produced out of the new hangout, the BACK40 bike shed.
IMG_20160506_170651.jpg

IMG_20160418_135247.jpg

My neighbor's mother is finally moving out of her house at age 88 for health reasons. Robyn text me and asked if I'd like to pick up an old bike that was in the garage at the house. I could tell from the pic that it had potential. When she told me it was her mom's bike from childhood, I knew I wanted it.

Turns out it's a Firestone Pilot, and others in-the-know have told me it is a CWC built bike. All I know is, it's a solid bicycle, covered in 70 years or more of grease and dirt. Probably the best skip tooth chain condition I've ever come across. This will be a clean the grease off, clean and lube bearings and cups, true up the wheels (really straight already!), maybe do a re-cover on the seat in leather, and mount some new tires and tubes and call it good!

I'm thinking cream colored tires to match the ivory / cream accent color on the bike. It's mostly clean now, after a couple quick mornings with a rag and my own 'Light degreaser' mix. Here are some shots of it in process. You can see the cleaned portions up against the original condition when I got it.

Should be a fun project. Now I just have to find a real 'retro girl' who would love to have this as a daily vintage rider.....

Some shots of the 'before' cleaning....
20170401_114637.jpg
20170401_114649.jpg
20170401_114713.jpg
20170401_114727.jpg
20170401_114855.jpg

And during the process.......I use my wooden vise built in to my work bench to hold the wheel while cleaning or working on the hubs. Works really well!
wheelholder.jpg
pilotwheel.jpg
20170405_163927.jpg
20170405_163904.jpg
20170405_163847.jpg

I welcome your comments or input on the bike and / or process. If anyone has a good resource for finding birthdates for Firestone bikes I would appreciate that as well. RaT oN!

Looks like a good solid base to start from your pics show great potential as wher the clean up is headed on the old girl , but I get the feeling it's more of a Rollfast built bicycle
Just based on the lines of the frame and Tank , also I like the shot of the back 40 ,looks like a nice quiet place to work out of and just get away , my shop is away from the house also and enjoy it alot , but I rarely get caught up in dates and model of bicycles as aposed to carricture . Have fun with your project.

Rafael

Perfect condition in my eyes :thumbsup:

It's got the prewar Huffman Chain ring. I looked but couldn't find any bikes like that on a search. It would have a Huffman serial number, an "H" followed by the last digit of the year, like H9 could be 1939 or 1949, but the features on the bike would go with the earlier year. I'm guessing late 30's.

All cleaned up and waiting for tires, seat tube reform (pretty bent up at the top), possible seat recover, and she'll be a rider! Also going to try a couple options with the head light. The plastic lens was all busted up, and the insides are pretty much full on rust. Might try the ol' insert LED flashlight trick! Or just get a lens that fits and looks good and finish it off.

pilot cleaned and lubed.jpg

It's close. No light, rack, and from how it sounds, the paint was altered. Guy mentioned he found the light blue under a couple scratches. I wonder if that's the chain guard I should look for?

I think you have the deluxe version. Since that bike was repainted and has the wrong handlebars, I wouldn't trust that that's the right chain guard, unless it had the same blue underneath the green repaint. But the bike is assuredly a Huffman, so the serial number will date it. I'll see if I can find a better pic.
Does the tank have a horn?

Nope, no horn on the tank. It does have a 'deluxe' feel to it. Really solidly built, nice touches, rack, braces, light, paint accents, integrated seat post clamp....Can't wait to get it rolling!

Classy !!

First ride under the belt! So smooooth...this Huffman frame is really well made and rides great. Gotta get the stem loose so I can straighten it, clean and lube the chain, and she's good to go.
20170415_163337.jpg

20170415_163358.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back