flightliner / spaceliner girls and boys tanks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a girls tank fit a boys frame? I can visually see the difference. They look the same. Are they the same dimensions? I have a boys flightliner and another frameset that needs a tank. I know a guy that has a farily cheap girls frame with tank and was thinking i could use the tank on my boys frame.

I believe that those models would be Murray Ohio built space bikes.
The girls tank does not fit the boys bike, and vice versa.
So many of these Murray tanks have a cut-out for mating with the head tube, which has a typical 70-degree rake angle. The mens/boys tank hangs horizontal, so the holes or cut-outs should be about 70-degrees; often angles are hard to measure accurately. The girl/ladies bikes is mounted at an angle of the down tube, so the holes or cut-outs would be angled in the opposite direction. This may apply to most metal space tanks, as well as any plastic lighting fixture mounted to the front of the tank-light fixtures.
Too often, a seller will not clearly state that a tank is from a girls/ladies bike.
upload_2018-6-18_9-51-14.png

Below is the Murray tank-light (men's 26") that I like best.
upload_2018-6-18_9-52-22.png

Flightliner and Spaceliner tanks are a good bit different from the murray tanks shown above.
But to answer the original question, no the girls tanks won't fit correctly on the mens frames. They are typically shorter and the angle of headtube hole in them is completely different (as mentioned above).

There are a few different versions of Spaceliner tanks. The ones that look like a 7 actually appear to have similar dimensions. But I think even those would have to have differences on how they mate up to the top bars of the boys and girls frames.

Latest posts

Back