Flying O

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
This is my first post, and I know pretty much nothing about bikes. I have a Flying O All Terrain Cruiser, that is about 30-40 years old, and I am wondering if anyone has any owner's manuals or at least know how to adjust the seat. I know this isn't as much fun as what you are used to, but I've done everything I can think of to try and find this information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! Pictures will definitely help.

My guess is that you can't raise the seat because the seat tube is rusted in the frame. This is a very common problem with old bikes that have been outside in the weather. If this is your problem, try soaking it for a few days with PB Blaster and see it it will loosen.

Loosen that bolt on the frame at the seat post. Should be able to wiggle the seat left and right and pull up on it. Don't raise it too much. You need at least about 4 inches or more inside of the frame.

This might help.

Thank you very much everyone for all of your help. I plan on lowering it, so it will have more than enough left inside. lol
If it has been sitting for a while, it is probably not a bad idea to pull it all the way out, clean it and add some grease to stop it rusting inside later on before putting it back in and doing the clamp up.

What type of grease would you recommend, and what kind of chain oil?
Any kind of grease you have should be fine, (except maybe bacon grease :21:) automotive or wheel bearing is what I use, just because that is what I have, it is only to help prevent rust and binding.

There is lots of discussion on chain lube, a bit of a personal preference thing, most will agree that actual chainlube from the bikeshop is good, some hardcore offroad riders say it attracts dirt and prefer a wax style lubricant, pretty sure everyone agrees that standard WD40 and the like are a bad choice, but can be handy for freeing up a rusted/bound up chain, some just use transmission fluid, some use bearing grease and wipe off the excess.

It really depends on what sort of riding you are doing, and how often you want to relubricate the chain...

The only riding I'm planning on doing right now, is just from my car to my class, which is about 400 yards away. I would walk, but I'm always late to class, and I can't leave work any earlier to get there on time, and I'm hoping the bike will get me there quicker.

Latest posts

Back