Folding bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here, if I have done this right, are some pics of my Sears travel bike. Can't call it a folder as it unbolts in two pieces.

DSCN2096_zpse3baf82a.jpg

DSCN2097_zpsc9c755bc.jpg

DSCN2095_zpsbb043952.jpg

DSCN2098_zps35c5ad99.jpg

It is rideable but the Shift cable is disconnected. Needs some TLC on the chrome.

Can anyone ID who actually made it?

deorman said:
There was originally a U-bracket to bolt the sections side by side for transport/storage. :|

Anyone got a picture of one?

And yup, it is heavy. Add my 225 pounds to it and I had to pump the tires up pretty hard, which made it ride like a solid tired bike. It was pretty good exercise tho.

Great Tote Cycle. Those always remind me of Moultons.

Old Hon convertible in stainless. Not sure of the exact year, but it must be a very early one as it predates the name change from Hon to Dahon. The non stainless stuff is a bit rusty, but I took it on a 6 mile ride today and it was OK. Currently the folding mechanism is held closed with wire, but I have a frame latch on the way. Was ridable when I got it a few weeks ago, but needed some tightening up.

20131202_085859.jpg

Nice old Dahon. You may have to get the spokes cut custom. That is what I had to do when I replaced spokes on my old one.

Original 70's susanna (made in Italy)
In bits at the moment resprayed it black + red.Not happy with that so thinkin of a knew color scheme... Ridden it a few times,but I feel like a clown on it.

Just sold my restored Raleigh Stowaway, doing two old Moultons now.

Attachments

• IMG_20160310_195534.jpg
    IMG_20160310_195534.jpg
    717.2 KB · Views: 285
Old Hon convertible in stainless. Not sure of the exact year, but it must be a very early one as it predates the name change from Hon to Dahon. The non stainless stuff is a bit rusty, but I took it on a 6 mile ride today and it was OK. Currently the folding mechanism is held closed with wire, but I have a frame latch on the way. Was ridable when I got it a few weeks ago, but needed some tightening up.

20131202_085859.jpg

20131202_085859.jpg
interested if you ever consider selling it let me know.

Picked this Fuji Folder out of a guy's pile of junk for free.

Maybe I'll soak it in penetrating oil until spring and work on it for next years build off!
IMG_20190825_123533.jpg

Update:
I entered this bike in the March Madness unofficial build off (March 2020) and got it running as a gift for my oldest son. Converted it to V-brakes, and changed out the wheels, seat, shifters and handlebars. Kept the ratty faded out original red paint and decals.
IMG_20200328_171357.jpg

Last edited:
They had one of these Biomega Puma folding bikes at a local pawn shop that I could have bought for ninety bucks
bostonbike-ed01.jpg
But I was afraid I'd break it.

Anyone got a picture of one?

The carrying handle was not included with the Tote Cycle. it was an extra cost item. Since most bikes sold for cheap at Sears, buyers were too cheap to spend more.

Mine in action below. The stock wing bolts are a temptation to take it a part. Easy. Reassembly takes 3 people. :crazy: There is no hinge. The 2 halves are top heavy so you need help to hold it in place, on person on each half, a 3rd person to put the bolts back in. I replaced the wing bolts with stainless hex head bolts to discourage that behavior. I changed to a standard Sturmey Archer trigger on the bars. The oem shift lever was mounted on the seat tube well below the seat to avoid having the cable span the unbolting action. I changed to a smaller sprocket and a larger cog as they are geared ridicuously high. Added the milk crate for cargo at a 45 degree angle for heel clearance. The bike has a ton of flex. Came in brown or gold, 1 speed or 3 speed varieties. My guess is they sold many thousands of them. Most wound up in closets and when unused. Plenty around in minty to poor shape. Best use is local grocery runner, keep it under 3 miles please.

Back