Fork You!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years and years, and years..making forks seemed like voodoo magic. No frame builder I knew liked making forks. I had a box of drop outs just collecting dust so I figure why not? Worst I could do..was die. So I messed around with a design and made a couple of high ten steel prototypes and then went for the 4130. Made two so far. Pretty happy with the outcome so far. I will make more when I get my mill back up and running (I burned out the motor) some detail as follows:

ebay 140 tubing bender.. had to use a 7 foot longer cheater bar to bend the 4130, very strong stuff!!

Double trouble fork by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

OK getting somewhere...

Here's my high ten steel one:

Got two sets mitered before I smoked the motor, it was wired for 220 with a 110 plug who knew? All that smoke was telling though.. It will be back up soon.

Two forks in the road, which do you choose?

Welds getting better, I'd say I'm near 1970's era bmx quality before the bike industry was flooded with aircraft welders from then the wall fell....

Twin drop outs..

The most important thing is the weld penetrated through the metal, ugly welds may be strong and I've seen a lot of pretty weld fail because they did not penetrate.

I have the first two gone already, I plan on making more so they will be available down the road...

Super Cool! And I see a bit of rake built in there??

GIF_hassel_rake.gif

You are correct!

I once owned a SharkFire bike with 6 pairs of slots in the front fork. You could tune the ride that way to see what you liked best.

Cool. I’ve always wanted to make some bmx style forks, I like the old style.
Be careful with the burn through on the 4130, I’ve worked with it on roll bars and the inspectors don’t like too much heat. I could be wrong but I don’t think you want to be burning completely through it.

Good job! How did you make the threaded rod and the most importantly place for the crown race to be pressed to?

I bought the steer tube ready to go from Nova cycle supply for 10 bucks and the crown race was two bucks-such a deal!!

Cool. I’ve always wanted to make some bmx style forks, I like the old style.
Be careful with the burn through on the 4130, I’ve worked with it on roll bars and the inspectors don’t like too much heat. I could be wrong but I don’t think you want to be burning completely through it.

Not all the way through but you should see some sign that the weld penetrated the metal, don't know about roll cages though. :)

Latest posts

Back