found a pretty good match for Schwinn Coppertone

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Recently found a reasonably priced tank for my Coppertone '67 Fleet 24-inch. The tank was mostly sprayed black when I got it, but I figured I was lucky to find a 24" tank at all.

20180810_124925.jpg

I had figured I'd try to spray bomb it with the closest Dupli-Color I could find. Nissan and GM both have a color they call Sunburst Orange that's pretty close. But the local Autozone/NAPA type places didn't have it. Enter your friendly neighborhood Hobby Lobby (and don't forget the online coupon for 40% off any one item).

paintcolor.jpg

Probably not the first choice for a 100-point restoration, but for my crusty rider, it seems to work fine. I actually "weathered" it a little to make it fit in with the rest of the bike. I sprayed a white base coat first.

20180821_195750.jpg

20180821_202100.jpg

Better pics tomorrow in the sunlight. It's been nasty and rainy here all day.

I think it works fine, I would think the natural fade would leave the bottom of the tank darker anyway.

I obsess over these types of things too, I see every little imperfection that I do.
In the end, it’s not like you are doing a ‘concurs’ level restore.

I looks fine, enjoy the bike and ride the tires off of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatta...Cool bike, 24" fleet , like to find one of those .

Looks good.
If anyone questions the difference in color, just tell them the tank came off a different bike. :happy:

Latest posts

Back