Franken Tandem gallery

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Franken Tandems are typically 2 bicycle framess welded together to make a tandem. They are sometimes offered for sale as rare and valuable antiques by owners who just don't know any better. Claimed to be a Schwinn or Monarch or what ever brand can be determined from one of the two donor bikes or some branded part bolted on. An experienced eye can spot these junkers a mile a way. I'll admit I've built a few but I never tried to sell one as anything other than two bikes welded together. Franken tandems have been built for almost as long as tandem bikes have been built. Some are nicely done, others not. Some are death traps, some are fully functional although often quite heavy or under built in critical stress locations. I built several kids tandems from Sting Rays after the fad was over in 1980. Who knew those bikes would become so valuable later on? Another of my builds was two Huffy Tandems brass brazed together to make a Quad which is still operational after 35 years. Feel free to add any such photos to this gallery.

Rick

Attachments

• Franken.Tandem.1.jpg
    Franken.Tandem.1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 437
I'm thinking of a quad build from a Columbia Twosome I have... Let us see pics of that quad you speak of.

Carl.

Not mine ,just something I spotted at a car show a few weeks ago.

A recent photo of the quad I built from two Huffy tandems in 1980 or so. My brother in law driving, nephew in second (free range parenting at work), niece, neighbor kid and neighbor with the camera.

IMG_2282c_zpsijc4qkeb.jpg

My first franken tandem. I built it using 2 Schwinn sting ray frames in 1978 or so. It has been used by many kids. I've loaned it to friends who had kids of appropriate ages. First pair were my 2 youngest sisters when they were 4 & 8. The youngest could pedal but not balance yet so it worked out pretty well. The 8yo could ride and control it pretty well by that age. Being my first build, I made a mistake. Most adult bikes have about 2" of drop so I repeated that not realizing most kids bikes have no drop. So the bike sits pretty low and the pedals can scrape the ground on bumps or tight corners. That 4yo is now 42 and standing in the background watching her daughter ride (back seat).

rick

IMG_2287c_zpshrtnkamm.jpg

Not mine.
Scary to see a hole drilled in the fork for the steering linkage and watch out for the shift lever when you dismount.

30082911754_ddacd4639b_o.jpg

Schwinn Mini Twinn franken tandem with boys & girls and cantilever frame design.
This has to be one of nicest franken tandems I've ever seen. Now on ebay. Not mine.

30988110605_6491b99d57_o.jpg

Last edited:
built by an enthusiastic volunteer at our local bike coop. It needs some work on the drive train and some stoker bars.

Schwinn front end, AMF or Columbia rear, Huffy Wheels.

from the ebay listing: "Very rare tandem Schwinn with 20 inch wheels. All original, never restored. Leather seats, Schwinn tags, chrome fenders, nothing missing. Good condition for age of bike. Was told this bike was especially made for Disney but I do not have documentation."

Kinda scary to see a disc brake added to such a skinny fork. Non-disc forks aren't designed to take the extra leverage.

Latest posts

Back