Freshen up whitewalls?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Thick Brick Whitewalls on my Electra are more like off-whitewalls after a few years on the bike - they have yellowed somewhat.
I've done the usual google searches and the best I could come up with was 'try bleach'. Doesn't sound like a great idea on a tyre - does it?
Anybody got a better plan/solution?

yellowed.jpg

Thing is, they aren't dirty - they have become discoloured - I do have some tyre cleaner in stock - I'll give them another scrubbity and see.
Cheers.

Back in the day when Show Cars were outfitted with white sidewall tires, lacquer thinner was the ticket.

i use oven cleaner on yellow white walls, when I pick up a barn stormer i always stop at the car wash and douse it on the way home. It takes all the grease off i mean off and the house paint so I can see what I really have. Regular strength dollar store kind. Leaves me with nice clean hubs, chain, crank whatever to rebuild when I get home. probably not a good idea for aluminum but I can't remember if I have messed up anything with it or not. so probably not

i use oven cleaner on yellow white walls, when I pick up a barn stormer i always stop at the car wash and douse it on the way home. It takes all the grease off i mean off and the house paint so I can see what I really have. Regular strength dollar store kind. Leaves me with nice clean hubs, chain, crank whatever to rebuild when I get home. probably not a good idea for aluminum but I can't remember if I have messed up anything with it or not. so probably not
Ya it Strips anodize! :(

Try citrus hand cleaner worked on some ancient whitewalls I had

I forgot about that. It really does work. I've used it with a small brush like a fingernail cleaning brush. Worked great

Latest posts

Back