Fullsize homemade Folder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Has anyone ever seen or made a folding bike from a fullsize 26" cruiser frame. Just cut in the middle with hinges or flanges welded in.
What hinges were used and if it actually worked out or ruined the frame.

Or if they didn't use hinges of some sort and made a bike that could be bolted together in the middle then disassembled at the flanges.

I wonder if a steel frame can be modified like that without losing it's geometry or strength.

My 68 Rollfast Mustang frame was that way, bolted together in the middle.

upload_2020-1-31_19-5-32.jpeg

Faehnrich Falter Super Star Vintage Folding Bike West Germany.
Falter Super Star 1.jpg
Falter Super Star 3.jpg

Full size 26" wheel folding bike. My Aunt used to take with her when camping in the 70's. Falter translated, means butterfly. It's hard to get to now, but I found some on line to show what it looks like and the hinges.
Falter Super Star 2.jpg
Falter Super Star 4.jpg

26 inch hummer bikes.
The H2 was made by Montague. It was basically the paratrooper model.
HIGHLINE-DirectConnect-Open.jpg

I want one, they're super cool. Reminds me of the old elevated stay mountain bikes.
They also make a tube frame model, various trim versions
images.jpeg

Last edited:
The H2 was made by Montague. It was basically the paratrooper model.View attachment 112923
I want one, they're super cool. Reminds me of the old elevated stay mountain bikes.
They also make a tube frame model, various trim versions
View attachment 112924
They look very different compared to the ones that I remember. I remember them being bright yellow and having really cheap components. I think they had a 3 by 7 group set with Walmart quality components or something like that.

Thanks everyone. I did some more research and it seems like a bike needs to be designed from scratch to be a good folder. Modding an existing frame looks to be more involved and expensive than just buying a frame or bike made new as a folder, and it may not have integrity.

If you need to make your bike smaller for shipping, then using welded flanges that bolt together may be the best way to do it. I'd like to take my bike when I travel, so I'm looking at ways to pack it. I can't get a straight answer from airlines on taking my bike in a bike bag. They all say it may be refused at the last minute if there isn't room.

Bicycle touring is one the best ways to check out a new destination. I have picked up bikes for $20-$30 at second hand stores or pawn stores to use at a new destination . I didn't care what the bike looked like , as long as got me from point A to point B . Some hotels offer rental bikes or know where to rent one

They look very different compared to the ones that I remember. I remember them being bright yellow and having really cheap components. I think they had a 3 by 7 group set with Walmart quality components or something like that.
Same company, different models
3df04dbeaf566f8bddb978e88fc480d4.jpg

It's a Montague

Full size mountain bike-ish folder made by Fuji back around the turn of the century. Pull the seat post out and it folds. Hoping to make it ridable this summer.
766c6832f9a4d7ce2247fca9876ad510.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Full size mountain bike-ish folder made by Fuji back around the turn of the century. Pull the seat post out and it folds. Hoping to make it ridable this summer.
766c6832f9a4d7ce2247fca9876ad510.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Smoking a bunch of cigarets and then riding a bicycle is very contradicting.

Latest posts

Back