Future Builds?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many folks here have a backlog of bikes they'd like to build? Every time I see an exotic or really different type of bike, I get an itch to build one. So far I want to build: a wooden bike, a gravity bike, a tall bike, a flipped girls frame stretch, and now a mini velo. I've got a 24" BMX to rebuild, an 80's tandem, a ladies 700c, and a 36' CWC to rat out.

Carl.
Haha! Two years later...
Little Neutrino is done (the 36' CWC) ALiEN FiRE is done (Flipped women's)
The 80's tandem made a quick appearance as Harlequin Deuce (clown bike) but has been dismantled. The 24" BMX is still in the rafters but I've rebuilt a couple ladies 700c's for my sweetie and my daughter. I can't believe that Luke's Mini Velo was two yrs ago! The woody, gravity and tall bikes are still future projects I'd like to do but... I'm just having fun building stuff. Project ADHD? I build whats in front of me, if that makes any sense. I've really only had 1 failure, the clown bike needed some welding I wasn't set up to do yet... so it's really a future project and the crazy wheels are done already...

I had to smile when I saw this thread pop up.
Wow! Two years and a few hundred miles ago...

Carl.

I think we all go through the phase of starting and not finishing at some point.
For me, I tend to get side tracked when I'm almost finished. I know I can finish the project, but sometimes I just start another.

It's almost like I unconsciously don't really want to finish a build, like it's a bad thing.

I know I can finish the project, but sometimes I just start another.

It's almost like I unconsciously don't really want to finish a build, like it's a bad thing.

Ha....true
It reminds me, someone ..on here..their little blurb on the bottom is "Id rather wrench 'em than ride em" (something like that)...made me smile.
who was that now ? hmmm.

I got a line of em, mostly pink and white Schiwnns and a few old roadmasters for the lady, few space and flight liners, colorflow....got me a super cruiser and a 35 colson I just ordered up a set of Velocity hoops for...I keep telling myself "their winter projects" but at the rate I am accumulating them I will be busy for the next ten winters...In my defense I have been steadily getting them done and the next 6 or so inline just need a good cleaning and service, some tires, chain...oh god I need a 12 step program.....

I'm currently working on a Schwinn tandem, 2 Hercules camel backs, 60s Raleigh road bike, 50's Western Flyer 3 speed, 1977 Peugeot road bike, 1990s Giant mountain bike, fat bike basket case, a hybrid klunker, an early 1950s CWC, a motorized big box bike and a 1957 Triumph 650. I work on whichever I feel like at the time so things are progressing slowly. I had several of them rolling last fall so I could store them but they are now disassembled again. I do stuff like build a wheel, only to get a better hub so I have to start over again. When the weather warms up I have a lot of painting to do. Inland lakes are still partially frozen but the trails are dry. I can't believe how fast they dried out with 35 inches below average snowfall. I have a 1930s Rollfast rainbow frame and I have been collecting parts for it for 4 years and I think this will become my summer project once I finish some of the others.

Last edited:
I am starting to acquire some frames which are going to be built. At the last swap I picked up a couple of stray chinese huffy frames for cheap.
DSCF1529.JPG

Threw some parts on one and took it on a spin yesterday.
Not bad and looks almost vintage with the old wheels and tires. surprised the bendix rear is a middleweight part tho (cuts down on tire options).
DSCF1540.JPG

I don't think it looks too silly with S7 rear and S2 front. Tires not too bad...
DSCF1550.JPG
DSCF1547.JPG

"Made in USA" must be 50 year old rubber ! :eek:

Attachments

• DSCF1548.JPG
    DSCF1548.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I always have a bunch I want to build. Just finished up a klunker and already want another. Have a lightweight road bike in the works, a couple bmx's to finish, kids bikes to build and give away, want a 24" cruiser bmx to race, a tall bike or penny fakething would be fun, and a burrito bike or stretched bike is on the list.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

way too much desings for a lifetime :( even with all the time and money .. i 3d draw most of them to help me see them and deel with the fact i can't build them
but here is a few of the ones i realy want to get done :

-Vélomobile
-Reverse trike
-Cycle truck
-Board track racer replica
-Weigh weenie balza/composite race bike

Last edited:
I'd like to do a tall bike and a burrito. Modified and themed to do whatever build off I'm in of course... Hmm, tall muscle bike...

Merle.

sent from my banana phone...

Just bought a new Electra fat lux 7d and fitting apes, brooks b190 and Brooks grips etc, and light renovation on a Moulton Speed from 1965 and restomodding another Moulton completely from 67 which is costing a small fortune but will look gorgeous.

Well, realistically, there's only so much money I can make at my dead-end, minimum wage, zero-benefit service job with a schedule consisting of "come in whenever we say so without notice"...:arghh: Believe me, i'd have made a LOT more builds before now if I could have afforded to actually buy parts instead of finding them. Honestly though, it's probably a good thing...

Because if I ever acquire sufficient money and time at once then MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON THIS PITIFUL WORLD!!! :21:

I'd start with:

1) Actual power tools, a real welder and a workshop that doesn't consist of a picnic table.

2) One of these just to get my feet wet-

3) One of these once i've hit my stride-

4) One of these for everyday (though if I went Electric boost i'd have to make mine a three-wheeler to comply with US regulations-

5) Likewise one of these (again, forced to be a Trike in the USA)-

6) And at least one or more of these-

7) maybe travel for once in my life, end up with some like-minded folks-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqXER7a5jNI

....you know, maybe it's better for the World that I don't have money and leisure time...:D

Your number 5, I've seen before. My wife wants me to build something like that.
But why would you have to do a three wheel version? In Ohio, as long as it's pedal powered and not over 49cc assist or above something like 600 watts it's a bicycle; even with four wheels.

You can't have a pedal car where you live?

Well, realistically, there's only so much money I can make at my dead-end, minimum wage, zero-benefit service job with a schedule consisting of "come in whenever we say so without notice"...:arghh: Believe me, i'd have made a LOT more builds before now if I could have afforded to actually buy parts instead of finding them. Honestly though, it's probably a good thing...

Because if I ever acquire sufficient money and time at once then MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON THIS PITIFUL WORLD!!! :21:

I'd start with:

1) Actual power tools, a real welder and a workshop that doesn't consist of a picnic table.

2) One of these just to get my feet wet-

3) One of these once i've hit my stride-

4) One of these for everyday (though if I went Electric boost i'd have to make mine a three-wheeler to comply with US regulations-

5) Likewise one of these (again, forced to be a Trike in the USA)-

6) And at least one or more of these-

7) maybe travel for once in my life, end up with some like-minded folks-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqXER7a5jNI

....you know, maybe it's better for the World that I don't have money and leisure time...:D

Your number 5, I've seen before. My wife wants me to build something like that.
But why would you have to do a three wheel version? In Ohio, as long as it's pedal powered and not over 49cc assist or above something like 600 watts it's a bicycle; even with four wheels.

You can't have a pedal car where you live?

Well, I can have as many wheels as I want as long as the machine is 'Pedal Only'-but if I ever add an electric motor (like the Phantom's Nephew and the Podride do to expand capabilities) then there's a good chance that the 'Pedal Quad' now becomes a 'Car' by legal default. With three or less wheels I can get away with 'Pedal Assist Bike' at 20 MPH or less, or 'Moped/Scooter' at higher speeds IF I incorporate enough Scooter parts such as the original VIN and DOT-approved moped /scooter tires etc. Some of the US/ North Carolina legalities are a bit murky still, so better safe than sorry...

Well, I can have as many wheels as I want as long as the machine is 'Pedal Only'-but if I ever add an electric motor (like the Phantom's Nephew and the Podride do to expand capabilities) then there's a good chance that the 'Pedal Quad' now becomes a 'Car' by legal default. With three or less wheels I can get away with 'Pedal Assist Bike' at 20 MPH or less, or 'Moped/Scooter' at higher speeds IF I incorporate enough Scooter parts such as the original VIN and DOT-approved moped /scooter tires etc. Some of the US/ North Carolina legalities are a bit murky still, so better safe than sorry...
I've heard some of the laws have changed since I lived there, I'd think a pedal car with e assist would go over well. You'll definitely need some assistance for the hills.

My list has dwindled over the years with age. I am trying to be a bit more realistic these days. I have just completed my old Harley clone and am now working on an Indian board tracker.

My wish list is:

A Good Humor type ice cream bike (if I can find a front load Worksman frame somewhere)

A late sixties Huffy Rail (had one as a kid)

Cycle truck (out of my price range so not likely)

Maybe another balloon tire tank bike

A trike

Some kind of old school chopper

Latest posts

Back